Increase font size
Topic Title: stair lift
Topic Summary:
Created On: 18 May 2011 10:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 May 2011 10:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

aweightman

Does anybody know any thing about stair lifts, been to have a look at one it didn't have any power going to it, sorted that out, when making sure it worked i send the stair lift to the up, when trying to send it down it only goes about 4ins and trips the reset switch, tested all the reed switches all work ok, tried to move to manullay and it doesn't move, as anybody got any ideas on wot it might be

Thanks
Andrew
 18 May 2011 10:17 PM

patt2

If the power has been off for awhile it could be that the batteries are flat or have failed.Some lifts need a load on them to move if I remember correctly,although not certain about that. you can download the manuals for most manufacturers through Google.
 18 May 2011 10:48 PM

jcm256

What type and make of stair lift is it i.e. is it wire rope operated or chain operated or rack & Pinion type or battery operated. If suspended by wire rope or chain the safety gear under the lift may have come on gripping the guide, the associated switch would stop the lift from operating. Did you try hand winding the lift back up? Stair lifts have a lot of safety devices, shake the footrest safety edges, try the footrest and armrests in the up position and use the landing buttons. Really there should be a maintenance contract on these by experts and you would need to contact them. Depending where they are fitted these would be statutory items maybe you should not interfere with it. On the other hand could be something simple, sit on the chair with your finger on the armrest down button and give it a little shake, if it does not move call the experts. Sorry not much help.
 18 May 2011 11:24 PM

rocknroll

If this is a domestic property and under one of the 'Care at Home' schemes such as NHS, LA or private insurance/charity then a mandatory maintenance contract would be in force, the client would normally have one number to ring, could be Redcare or even the 24h LA incident management centre, there are still a lot of dubious people via a cold call who will fit a cheapo stair lift and offer no after sales service.

In our area we tend to use these;
http://www.pluss.org.uk/corpor...nd-public-access.html

regards

-------------------------
"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"

Edited: 18 May 2011 at 11:43 PM by rocknroll
 19 May 2011 11:26 AM

tfrien

Hi Andrew,
If you have had to carry out a repair to the power supply, then it is a good pointer that the batteries are well run down. (What was the fault you fixed)
If the stairlift as not been used I would suggest you get a couple of new 12v batteries from your nearest County batteries depot. (note chair lift batteries have a fire rating clause on them, this is denoted by the number on the battery for eg 12v 7AH is denoted as a standard yusha battery whilst I think the fire rated battery is 12v 7AH NP). Make sure you replace & connect the batteries correctly. If there is not any further faults the chair should run as norkmal.
What is the make and model of the chairlift,.
Is the chair lift being used daily.
Regards,
Tom
 19 May 2011 12:24 PM

AJJewsbury

I'm not sure that NP indicates any particular fire rating - the Yuasa NP range is simply their 'standby' range (possibly not the best choice for a motor drive system which might be more "cyclic" in nature.) See http://www.yuasabatteries.co.uk/

Not that all stairlifts even have batteries of course.

- Andy.
 19 May 2011 09:31 PM

KFH

My father had one, battery went flat while he was in hospital, helpfull uncle had turned everything off for safety. He found out it would not work when trying to get to bed at night having come out of hospital. I was working away so could not help, stairlift engineer (next day) said the battery could not be recharged once flat so fitted new one! (it had not recharged overnight)
 19 May 2011 10:04 PM

aweightman

cant see a battery for the stair lift any where, all i know is from a firm called lift able and its about 12 years old
 20 May 2011 10:40 AM

tfrien

Hi Andrew,
It is most likely that this firm just deal with second-hand stair lifts.
The stair lift name plate is usually on the back of the stairlift. If it is too close too the wall to read, get a small mirror to help read the name plate.
You did not say what the fault was which you fixed.
On the Stannah 300 & 400 which I have had quite a bit of experience, there is a battery charger fitted at the top of the stairs next to a swicth spur connection unit, The elv from the battery charger iis connected in a small connection box underneath the stair travelling rail. On the Stannah 300 the batteries are mounted under the seat, whilst on the 400 the batteries are mounted in the carriage i.e. two NP7-12TFR 12V, 7.0 Ah sealed rechargeable Lead Acid Battery. The batteries are connected in series to give 24 volt.
One of the main reasons for the batteies is for the case of a power cut or fault on the house wiring circuit for e.g. ring main or dedicated radial circuit. This enables the persons to be able to use the stair lift in any of these events. It is also an emergeny backup to enable the persons to get down the stairs etc in the event of a fire or other emergency. This also satisfies BS7671 for safety systems. These stairlift are capable of running loaded with a person in excess of 50 times up and down the stairs on good batteries with the mains supply being switched off.
It may be necessary for the owner to carry a risk assessment for the use of the stair lift in the event of emergency.
You will have to identify the stairlift.
Regards,
Tom
Regards,
Tom
 24 March 2014 01:19 PM

spinlondon

I don't like stair lifts, they drive me up the wall.
 25 March 2014 02:52 PM

ericmark

My mothers stair lift was parked just off the charge point. I thought just wind it onto charge point and all would be fine lucky she does not go upstairs much. However it was not to be the old batteries just did not seem to charge. Called care and repair guy came out changed 4 x 12 volt batteries all working again.

I was quite surprised had not realised chair was battery operated I had thought batteries were only for back-up. I was also surprised to find batteries to bring the last bit of rail into operation.

Also surprised to find the on stair button to call the chair and drop last bit of rail was also battery operated with some little PP3 batteries.

I don't really think it is safe there is no view of the final bit of rail from the top of the stairs and until it has been lowered the chair will not move. Sound is only indication as to what is happening you can hear the motor running. My father on a few times failed to fully lift last section which resulted in my mother who lived down stairs not being able to get her wheel chair to the door. Also I was worried about it hitting grand children there was no auto stop if something was in the way and I saw the results when my mother left a box in it's path it was well crushed. All it needed was a mirror on the bend in the stairs to have cured the problem. However father has passed away and mother only uses lift on the odd time and always with some one with her so no longer a problem.

As least the chair lift has a key so can ensure grand children can't try using it. Electric wheel chair however has no plug and socket or key to disable it and only thing we can do is raise the arm so kids can't reach controls and leave it on charge which adds one extra thing required before it will move. Scooter has a key why not included with wheel chair can't think but it isn't.
 25 March 2014 09:40 PM

deleted_1_kengreen

the only way to repair these is to call in expert help from the makers else you take on a very large responsibility.

Ken Green
 06 May 2016 04:08 PM

silvercross

Originally posted by: spinlondon

I don't like stair lifts, they drive me up the wall.

LOL

Link removed
 08 May 2016 01:24 PM

FizzleBang

In my experience, once these stair lifts become orphaned from their original ownership/maintenance contract the manufacturers don't want to know them.

I've ripped them out and scrapped them because of this. I never really thought that my PL insurance would fully cover me in the case of any accidents or injuries relating to a stair lift that I'd repaired, irrespective of whether the repairs were related to the incident.

To me, to you
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.