Increase font size
Topic Title: Best location for RCD
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02 November 2006 10:19 am
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 November 2006 10:19 am
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

deleted_Jackboy29

I wonder if anyone can settle a query i've got. Hav an older style fuse box and need to put an RCD on the power socket circuit but a slight disagreement has emerged regarding the best location for the RCD.

Technical support at NICEIC has said best location is between the circuit breaker and the powersockets themselves, so circuit wild be 100A fuse, meter, circuit breaker, RCD, power sockets. His reasoning was because the circuit breaker wld protect teh wires going into the RCD.

However, someone else is saying that the RCD should definitely be placed BEFORE the circuit breaker, so the circuit would be 100A fuse, meter, RCD, circuit breaker, powersockets.

If anyone cld give me a definitive answer it would be greatly appreciated. I kno the best solution wld prob be a new style board, but am interested to here answers to this question.

Thanks in advance
 02 November 2006 11:02 am

Dogsdoodoo

Your post suggests only 1 'power socket circuit', mix that with I suspect rewire fuses (3036's), and I can see at least a few good reasons for update of the board. Look a bit deeper and I suggest 15th or ealier installation, which when faced with 'bolt on' additions like adding RCD to socket outlets, increased capacity etc...means I would be recommending consideration of update.

If this is not an option, then you only really have the option to take an overload feed from your dedicated (30amp) fuse and push through an external RCD (becomes a sort of RCBO, but in two bits), onward to your sockets. If you look to add RCD to the entire installation, you are then into thoughts and issues re. 100ma/30ma selections and problems with lights possibly taking out the entire installation when they blow a bulb.

I say swap for new CU or feed out to separate RCD.

Ian.
 02 November 2006 11:00 pm

deleted_Jackboy29

Hi, thanks for ur reply. I know a new CU wld probably be the best option but i'm on a bit of a tight schedule at moment and it's definitely something i'm considering for Near future. For the moment i just need to add the RCD to make sure i'm covered and everythings safe.

To add the seperate RCD where's best place to put it? Before or after circuit breakers?

cheers

Edited: 02 November 2006 at 11:03 pm by deleted_Jackboy29
 03 November 2006 12:39 am

dlanders

Jack,
I don't know whether it matters which order they go in but, MEM sell RCDs to add on to CBs to effectively change them to RCBOs, so I would say Fuse > Meter > CB > RCD > Sockets.
Dave
 03 November 2006 12:54 am

kneeshurt

I have come across similar problems when extending ring circuits for new kitchens in that to comply with regs need to protect the sockets with 30ma rcd. If customer declines consumer unit change I have gone with taking 6mm t@e from existing 30a fuse to rcd and ring main from that. Hope that helps.
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.