Increase font size
Topic Title: How to hide personal details in/on the new forum
Topic Summary:
Created On: 27 March 2019 03:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 March 2019 03:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Farmboy

In the new forum, my screen name appears but clicking on that name directs to a page showing my real name. In 'my account > privacy', I've tried selecting 'nobody' who can view my name but it still shows up. So, is this the correct way of doing it, or is there some other way I'm missing? I see that others have managed to hide their real names, so it appears achievable to do.

Thanks

F
 27 March 2019 04:46 PM

Zoomup

Yes, why is that?

Z.
 27 March 2019 05:05 PM

mapj1

you can see your real name, as I can see mine. I can't see your's however, as you cannot see mine. The explanation of 'screen name' could be clearer.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 27 March 2019 07:02 PM

Farmboy

Originally posted by: mapj1

you can see your real name, as I can see mine. I can't see your's however, as you cannot see mine.

Agreed, on this site, but by way of example on the new site, clicking on Kettle electrical goes to their name, whereas clicking on Ady1 does not, so i assume that is by use of certain settings (hope you don't mind my use of your names as examples).

Unsure what you mean by explanation of screen name could have been clearer but to me, screen name is the name of the poster that appears in their post, which may be their real name or not, so in my case, farmboy appears in my post but the link goes to my real name.

So, to stop it doing that, what are the settings?

F
 27 March 2019 08:13 PM

mapj1

Mr kettle is not hiding his details - but Sparkingchip is.
I hope I am ...

here is a copy of my settings on the new forum

To me 'screen name' implies some sort of screen or filter so folk see different views, - this is a simply an alias.screenshot

regards Mike

Edited: 27 March 2019 at 08:34 PM by mapj1
 27 March 2019 08:16 PM

Alcomax

Go to privacy settings in "my account" on the new site..........of course there is no way of knowing if it works ....except for certain monkeys that have more than one account or have someone else on the forum you know check it out.
 27 March 2019 08:28 PM

Lisamiles

Only you and the Senior Admins can always see you real name when you view your profile page.

You do have the option to display it to everyone in the community or just your contacts (or friends as facebook calls it) within your privacy settings as others have described.

Profile pages can only be viewed by community members who are logged into the community, they are not publicly visible on the internet.

Hope that helps?

Lisa

Online Community Manager - Engineering Communities
 27 March 2019 08:44 PM

Farmboy

Originally posted by: Lisamiles

Only you and the Senior Admins can always see you real name when you view your profile page.

You do have the option to display it to everyone in the community or just your contacts (or friends as facebook calls it) within your privacy settings as others have described.

Profile pages can only be viewed by community members who are logged into the community, they are not publicly visible on the internet.

Hope that helps?

Ah, this may be where I'm going wrong then. I had already tried the privacy settings as shown by mapj1 (thanks for posting those settings), however, when i put up a post and click on my username in the post, it takes me to a page showing my real name. So, for anyone clicking on that link, is that what they would also see, or just me; if just me, what will others see (if my name is withheld in the privacy settings)?

F
 27 March 2019 09:16 PM

mapj1

Oh and can you do me a favour - can you tell me how much of my profile is showing ? just to set my mind at rest.

edit now I am back awake.

if you are up for a quick trial post something 'dummy post' and I'll go and tell you, and you can take it down afterwards.
- perhaps as a reply to my anonymity thread.

regards Mike

Edited: 28 March 2019 at 10:04 AM by mapj1
 27 March 2019 10:59 PM

Farmboy

if you are up for a quick trial post something 'dummy post' and I'll go and tell you, and you can take it down afterwards.

- perhaps as a reply to my anonymity thread.

Oh and can you do me a favour - can you tell me how much of my profile is showing ? just to set my mind at rest.

I think you're sorted because in your anonymity post clicking on your username goes through to your 'my interests' page so presumably that's what others will see as well - job done. However, appreciate you having a look at my sample post but such a post could be public unintentionally so I'll have a bit more of a fiddle before doing so thanks.

F
 28 March 2019 10:05 AM

mapj1

Actually a lot of folk have ID showing - the defaults seem to be open rather than closed.

regards Mike
 28 March 2019 10:46 AM

Lisamiles

Hi Mike

Yes, for the 58,000+ existing members of the online community we haven't changed the privacy settings of their name information. However, for the 500 or so user accounts from the Wiring Regs forum that we imported, we made sure the 'real name' section was defaulted to 'hidden'.

So you all have a choice. If you're okay and happy for other community members to know who you really are then you can choose to show your name to them, or if not, keep it hidden.

Hope that helps?

Lisa

Online Community Manager - Engineering Communities
 28 March 2019 01:50 PM

Farmboy

Originally posted by: Lisamiles
...If you're okay and happy for other community members to know who you really are then you can choose to show your name to them, or if not, keep it hidden. ...

So is that done in the privacy settings as shown by mapj's screenshot, because I still keep seeing my name even though I select 'nobody'?

F
 28 March 2019 02:31 PM

Legh

Its amazing how many electrical workers want to hide their real names. We've heard that some are on a mission and need to hide from the opposition and I suspect that otheres are either building up their foreign portfolios, and others likely being chased by the HMRC.....
Its all a bit clock and dagger

Legh

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

de-avatared
 28 March 2019 02:50 PM

mapj1

Indeed it is. Or maybe we just want to keep work and life separate from this.
Same as I don't wear a bow tie at home, and maybe you leave your work kit at the front door ?
Who knows who does what. Does it affect the technical merit or otherwise of our various opinions - if you do not know who someone is, you cannot pre-judge them.

Cue "Tales of the Unexpected" music.

Meanwhile my anonymity thread has been moved to a bit of the forum you can't see without logging in at the new place, which had me half way through an irate Email about censorship before I found it.

regards Mike
 28 March 2019 05:58 PM

Weirdbeard2

Meanwhile my anonymity thread has been moved to a bit of the forum you can't see without logging in at the new place, which had me half way through an irate Email about censorship before I found it.

Hi mike, on the bright side there are other bits of the new forum that posts can be moved to, such as un-described posts that only contain a link to a newspaper article or some random 'electrician' on youtube freaking out because the earth sleeving is not the right proportion of green to yellow and they have found their first grommet missing in a flush back box.
 28 March 2019 06:48 PM

Alcomax

On the new forum did anyone notice the vanishing thread? Seem to remember it was JCM as OP in the last couple of days, various replies.........then gone!

edit to add:

Read comments above and now found the thread had been moved into another category, where it did actually get a very good answer. However, this moving around of threads is going to make the new forum very different from this place. As soon as mission control deem a discussion has gone "off topic" it will be moved out of wiring and regs to another section. That will likely spell the end of marathon thread.

Edited: 28 March 2019 at 08:35 PM by Alcomax
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.