Increase font size
Topic Title: Old Eaton Board Short Circuit Rating
Topic Summary: Short Circuits
Created On: 22 March 2019 11:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 March 2019 11:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

michalisgiannakou

Hello to the forum,

Working on this project where I have some Eaton Memshield 2 boards, both single phase (Type A) and three phase (Type B).

The supply transformer upstream is to be swapped with a higher rating and some of these boards see a fault level in excess of 10kA.

Has anyone got any idea on their busbars short circuit rating? The old catalog makes no reference to such value, perhaps because they were made to older standards superseded by the BS EN 61439.

Thanks
 24 March 2019 08:28 AM

Zoomup

Can you not install a suitable protective device on the supply side to comply with 434.5.1?

Actually I thought that the M.C.B.s were 10kA rated. New Memshield 3 15kA rated M.C.B.s seem to be available. As to the rating of the old original bus-bars I do not know their rating.

I do not think that the new 15kA Memshield 3 M.C.B.s will fit the old Memshield 2 boards.

Z.

Edited: 24 March 2019 at 09:06 AM by Zoomup
 28 March 2019 12:12 AM

michalisgiannakou

Thanks for your thoughts Z.

Memshield 3 catalogs give a "conditional short circuit" rating, the Memshield 2 series does not. I could make some assumptions about the cross sectional area of the busbars themselves based on their rating and using the equation in 434.5.2 compare with the energy of the downstream MCCB energy let through. All this sounds good but it could differ from reality - client might not like it but its worth a try.

Also sent Eaton technical an e-mail, lets see what they come back with.
 28 March 2019 09:18 AM

AJJewsbury

Not sure if this manufacturer's data is of any help to you: http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/...rotection-control.pdf
- Andy.
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.