IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Human Cost of Hydro-Electric Dams.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 21 March 2019 07:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 March 2019 07:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zoomup

It has been suggested that Turkish hydo-electric dams are causing Iraq to have water problems with the Euphrates river's level dropping dangerously. Many Iraqi fishermen and farmers are suffering. There have been food shortages in Iraq.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqMmEz59GA4

Z.
 21 March 2019 07:37 PM

Zoomup

22 March 2019 02:48 AM

Romel

There is an ongoing debate regarding Dams as to whether their advantages (environmental such as renewable energy source) outweighs its disadvantages (Wildlife habitat destruction, disruption of natural water flow, silt accumulation, cultural displacement and possible catastrophic failure.) Since other types of renewable energy source are already available, maybe it is high time to rethink DAM constructions.

I have also seen another argument regarding this. He states that sacrifice must be made (ecologically) to ensure that water and energy is readily available in urban areas. Do we, humans, really deserve those sacrifice from other species? Thought that this person (maybe I am too in some sort or another) is one of the reason why our world is deteriorating at an exponential rate.

Edited: 22 March 2019 at 01:30 PM by Romel
 22 March 2019 08:34 AM

Zoomup

Yes Romel, well observed. It always seems to be the poorest, lowly, disadvantaged that are most inconvenienced and suffer most with dam constructions. They are made homeless and lose their livlihoods in many cases, especially fishermen and small farmers that have used the downstream rivers for hundreds of years, and now are forced to move to big towns or cities to try to scrape a living with their familiies in an alien world to which they may not be suited.

Z.
 22 March 2019 02:50 PM

OMS

Originally posted by: Zoomup

Yes Romel, well observed. It always seems to be the poorest, lowly, disadvantaged that are most inconvenienced and suffer most with dam constructions. They are made homeless and lose their livlihoods in many cases, especially fishermen and small farmers that have used the downstream rivers for hundreds of years, and now are forced to move to big towns or cities to try to scrape a living with their familiies in an alien world to which they may not be suited.

Z.

LoL - do you know many Welsh people, Z

Cofiwch Dryweryn, comrade.

OMS

-------------------------
Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
 22 March 2019 05:08 PM

Zoomup

Hello OMS, thanks for the response. I do not know many Welsh people but I have known a few. I also had friends that moved from England to live in mid-Wales which I visited in Wales. I have holidayed in Wales, and an Aunt was evacuated to Wales during the Second World War as a child. Apart from the Llangollen choirs of the World event that I attended a few years ago it is a bit of a foreign country to me. Llangollen has a lovely wide rocky river. I will research the event that you alluded to to educate myself further. The Aberfan tragedy is most prominent in my mind sadly.

Z.
 22 March 2019 06:07 PM

Zoomup

I would not have wanted to be a transformer on the construction site at Capel Celyn in February 1963 with MAC about.

Capel Celyn, Sadly Dan y Dwr.

Z.
 22 March 2019 09:31 PM

sparkingchip

Originally posted by: Zoomup

Hello OMS, thanks for the response. I do not know many Welsh people but I have known a few. I also had friends that moved from England to live in mid-Wales which I visited in Wales. I have holidayed in Wales, and an Aunt was evacuated to Wales during the Second World War as a child. Apart from the Llangollen choirs of the World event that I attended a few years ago it is a bit of a foreign country to me. Llangollen has a lovely wide rocky river. I will research the event that you alluded to to educate myself further. The Aberfan tragedy is most prominent in my mind sadly.

Z.

The Llangollen canal abstracts water from that lovely wide rocky Welsh river to top up English canals and supply English people with drinking water.

I bet the Welsh wee in it.

Actually I should not joke about that, our drinking water intake on the River Severn is below our sewage outlet, so I wee in my own drinking water.
 23 March 2019 08:44 AM

Zoomup

Actually I should not joke about that, our drinking water intake on the River Severn is below our sewage outlet, so I wee in my own drinking water.

Don't drink the tap water.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/hea...b-drinking-water.html

Z.
 23 March 2019 10:30 AM

rocknroll

Pollution due to the chemical, a powerful form of oestrogen, is causing up to half the male fish in our lowland rivers to change sex, research shows.

Well all is not lost that should please a lot of men on the cusp of which sex they are to find a load of eggs in their gonads.

Regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 23 March 2019 10:31 AM

AJJewsbury

They used to reckon that London tap water had passed through anything up to six kidneys since falling as rain.

- Andy.
 23 March 2019 06:59 PM

Zoomup

Tea anyone?

Z.
 23 March 2019 11:35 PM

chrispearson

Originally posted by: AJJewsbury

They used to reckon that London tap water had passed through anything up to six kidneys since falling as rain.

Is that six persons' kidneys or three pairs?
 24 March 2019 08:53 AM

mapj1

Kidneys are wired, well plumbed, in parallel, so they meant 6 people.
Actually the correct quote is that some of the water could have been through as many as six people, and was a count of the number of water abstraction and sewage outfalls along the Thames. Clearly at no point is anything like 100% of the water abstracted and replaced by sewage, so most of the water does not go through anyone at all, but some well understood fraction of the total water does, at each stage.
Therefore by Richmond, you can say that xx % has been through 6 cycles, Y% through 5 or more etc.

As a scout leader you sometimes get to see things others don't. At the end of a tour of a modern sewage works, the party were offered a glass of water, to show how clean and safe the exit flow was.
Oddly everyone was suddenly not thirsty.

regards Mike
 24 March 2019 11:24 AM

sparkingchip

The lowest drinking water intake from the River Severn is actually on the Sharpness Canal at Purton and supplies half of the drinking water for Bristol exporting our recycled water from the Midlands into the South West.

Once the dams are full hydro electric should not really affect the flow down stream, Friday afternoon after doing a job in Neath, South Wales I walked around the National Trust Aberdulais tin plate works which is also a small scale power station, it has a turbine generator and another generator attached to the water wheel without any water storage above the weir at all.
 25 March 2019 10:34 AM

AJJewsbury

It has been suggested that Turkish hydo-electric dams are causing Iraq to have water problems with the Euphrates river's level dropping dangerously. Many Iraqi fishermen and farmers are suffering. There have been food shortages in Iraq.

But Hydro Electric schemes don't consume water as such - once the reservoir is initially filled the total amount of water flowing downstream must equal the amount flowing into the system from upstream (except perhaps a tiny effect of extra evaporation from a larger surface area). The timing of the flow may differ - although usually it's a case of delaying heavy winter rains/snowmelt - which usually has the benefit of reducing the risk of flooding downstream and actually increasing the flow during dry periods.

What I suspect is happening is that water from behind the dam is also being abstracted - for irrigation or drinking water supplies - and it's that, rather than the electricity generation which is the source of the problem.

There's also the political problem of one state being able to interrupt the water supply to another (downstream) state.

- Andy.
 25 March 2019 11:15 AM

ebee

"Cofiwch Dryweryn, comrade. "

Typical, OMS speaking latin again, he knows I am not familiar with latin!

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 25 March 2019 11:43 AM

OMS

Translates to "Remember Tryweryn" - and became a rallying call for welsh nationalism following Liverpool Councils decision to create a new reservoir for the great unwashed of Scouseville

Careful the Daffodil Army don't put a Fatwah on you, Ebee - Latin indeed.

OMS

Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
 25 March 2019 12:36 PM

ebee

lol.
Thought you`d like that.

Actually I love to listen to Welsh (the accent not the language cos I nil comprendo) It`s like singing, brill. That gardening chap Terry on BBC radio 2 too, Ok I`m not into gardening but I could listen to him for hours.
Nice countryside too.

Same with scotts, I love the accent (I`m a bit biased I suppose with a scottish surname and some scottish ancestory,) again nice countryside in them there highlands.

Us english are a bit boring (except the cornish)

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 25 March 2019 09:36 PM

sparkingchip

Water is taken from the head of the River Wye at Elan Valley and several days later ti arrives in Birmingham are flowing along the aqua duct then it is consumed and expelled with some of it ending up in the River Severn it is then consumed and expelled several more times before making its way into the Sharpness canal and onto Bristol to be consumed and expelled again finally making its way to the sea in the Bristol Channel on the English side rather than at the mouth of the Wye on the Welsh side a few miles away.

So the water ends up where it should be, but misses out on running its natural course down the River Wye, which may well partly account for the severe lack of water in the river at Monmouth last summer.

Andy
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Human Cost of Hydro-Electric Dams.

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.