Increase font size
Topic Title: Food Servery Lighting.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 18 March 2019 05:03 pm
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 March 2019 05:03 pm
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zoomup

Years ago I was told that fluorescent lighting used in food production areas and serveries should be enclosed by a diffuser to contain any broken glass if a tube shatters and to keep insects and dust from accumulating on the tubes. Today a cafe owner said that the local council environmental health staff have seen his bare tube fitting that is situated above his food preparation and servery area and did not comment on it adversely. I suggested an all enclosed fitting would be better for the new fitting that he has bought to supplement the lighting fitting already there.

So just what are the official guidelines today for fluorescent type batten fittings in food preparation areas?

Z.
 18 March 2019 05:19 pm

Dave69

Simples
Not suitable for the environment
 18 March 2019 05:29 pm

broadgage

I am not aware of any law, rule, or regulation that specifically prohibits bare fluorescent tubes in food preparation areas.

There IS however a general duty of care under food hygiene legislation to "take all reasonable steps to protect food from contamination"

It could be argued that enclosed fluorescent tubes are part of these "reasonable steps" Or alternatively, bare fluorescent lamps MIGHT be considered acceptable in small or basic premises, especially if already existing rather than newly installed.
 18 March 2019 06:33 pm

OMS

It's probably reasonable to assume, that if a lamp breaks, then the kitchen gets a good clean up, the small amount of food uncovered gets skipped and off they go again

There are lots of reasons why you would want enclosed luminaires, and ideally luminaires that contain no glass - but as Bradgage mentioned, the regulations are clear - the solution is up to you

A look at BS EN 61549 and the FSA guidelines might be of some value to you

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
 18 March 2019 09:25 pm

mapj1

The only place I have seen this worried about in a big way was at a Scout Jamboree, and the thinking was that with fittings swaying about from drop ropes from the ridge poles of marquees and lots of boisterous youngsters pratting about, the risk of a smashed tube was maybe higher than the usual 'almost never'
The last fitting I had drop glass while powered on was actually a halogen spotlight, the only times I've seen a florry break was when being removed from a rather sticky fitting, oh and one where the whole fitting fell out of the ceiling, as the screws into the plasterboard had totally missed anything solid. In neither case would a cover have added much, as in the tube changing case the cover would have been removed to perform the change, and a whole fitting crashing down is just as bad as a tube or worse.
Actually there are plastic sleeves one can fit to a tube (Rather like the blue peter sticky backed plastic of old) that are supposed to retain all the sharp bits - maybe worth considering.
or ready coated lamps

-------------------------
regards Mike
 18 March 2019 10:39 pm

chrispearson

Hygiene is paramount in any food preparation area. I find it difficult to see how one could damp-dust or wash anything but an enclosed florry. Moreover, any cover could be taken down and washed periodically.
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.