Topic Title: Own up , who done it....
Topic Summary:
Created On: 14 March 2019 09:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 March 2019 12:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dustydazzler

you couldn't pass 2360 without installing and glanding a short length of micc and getting it to IR test properly
 17 March 2019 12:54 PM

Zoomup

I am trying to remember an advert that I saw many years ago for M.I.C.C. cable. It was probably on t.v. or on an instructional video about wiring. It showed an army tank running over some M.I.C.C. cables and the cables surviving the test. I am pretty sure that I did not dream it. Does anyone else remember the advert? Possibly a B.I.C.C. advert. Possibly from the 70s.

Z.
 17 March 2019 01:09 PM

Legh

No not that one but there video demonstrations of flattening the stuff with a hammer and energising it

Top Tip when using Pyro always wrap tape around the ends before second fix as it maybe there before its terminated up to a week or so.
If the cable has no coloured sheathing then the ends can be heated to drive out the moisture (usually about 4" / month in normal humidity if left open. and don't split the covering for the same reason.
The stuff is pretty rare these days and is longer taught in colleges, (stopped circa approx. 2014), although still used in Petrol stations, and other fire sensitive areas etc.

Legh

-------------------------

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

de-avatared
 17 March 2019 05:11 PM

mapj1

What I had not realised until recently is that it is made by drawing and rolling the diameter down from a much larger preform, pre loaded with ceramic in short blocks, that get crushed and stretched, blocking a pre-form so in many ways hammering it is only an extension of the forces used to form it.

this vid shows some tests in fire and so on.

regards Mike
 17 March 2019 06:03 PM

perspicacious

Have you never wondered how they made seaside rock?!!!!

Regards

BOD
 17 March 2019 07:42 PM

Jaymack

When I was an apprentice in the steel industry, a Pyrotenax rep. demonstrated squeezing MICS in a vice with a Megger on the tails, I was impressed that it didn't short. It has many uses around furnaces etc., including for instrumentation, also for the inside of buildings where it can be easier to blend in, such as churches.

Regards
 18 March 2019 11:39 AM

AJJewsbury

also for the inside of buildings where it can be easier to blend in, such as churches.

Although churches seem to have more than their fair share of problems with MICC - damp (often compounded by a leaking roof and poor heating) and sometimes corrosive salts from the stone/mortar, seem to reduce its lifetime to something comparable to (or even shorter than) conventional cabling.
- Andy.
 18 March 2019 12:48 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: perspicacious
Have you never wondered how they made seaside rock?!!!!

Regards

BOD

They used Bill Haley and his comets.
 18 March 2019 05:51 PM

rocknroll

Originally posted by: dustydazzler

">http://m.youtube.com/w...tim.....ImWA

I'm so glad in 2005 work such as this will be avoided ...

I don't know why you and your Baby Belling and Kettle whisperer buddy don't get together and team up with the DM and YT, you could call yourselves the 'Dazzle Brothers',

From me to you,

Regards

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 18 March 2019 06:28 PM

OMS

and so it begins

It's the one and only, not to be missed, Razzle Dazzle Show

OMS

Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
 19 March 2019 11:18 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: ebee

magic tom, how do you convert 100mm to one imperial foot - that is a very good material saving feat of engineering [IMG][/IMG]

Ebee... I am the LAST sparks to ask about 'mm'! Haha - ok, without looking it up... it's 30cm's.

I have made lot's of mistakes, over the years', with metric... ordered a set of vertical blinds from ebay... sometime ago, and I put the imperial measurements first and then the metric... I asked the chap up north to double check my metric measurement... he didn't and I ended up with a, haha, shorter rail than I wanted, hahaha, ya gotta larf!

IF, anyone want's to talk about imperial... then I'm ya man!

Cheers...

Tom.... (The TERMINATOR).

handyTRADESMAN

Castle Builders

Edited: 19 March 2019 at 11:28 AM by tomgunn
 19 March 2019 11:25 AM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: Legh

No not that one but there video demonstrations of flattening the stuff with a hammer and energising it

Top Tip when using Pyro always wrap tape around the ends before second fix as it maybe there before its terminated up to a week or so.

If the cable has no coloured sheathing then the ends can be heated to drive out the moisture (usually about 4" / month in normal humidity if left open. and don't split the covering for the same reason.

The stuff is pretty rare these days and is longer taught in colleges, (stopped circa approx. 2014), although still used in Petrol stations, and other fire sensitive areas etc.

Legh

Hi Legh,

Sorry, that isn't good enough... always use some 'compound', much better!

regards...

Tom.... (The TERMINATOR).

handyTRADESMAN

Castle Builders
 19 March 2019 08:44 PM

Legh

Originally posted by: tomgunn

Originally posted by: Legh

Legh

Hi Legh,
Sorry, that isn't good enough... always use some 'compound', much better!

regards...

Agreed, don't think I had any sealing compound to hand when I last first fixed some pyro, but definitely had a roll of insulating tape. That was a few years ago. (summer 1994)

Legh

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

de-avatared
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Own up , who done it....

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.