Increase font size
Topic Title: Eco Watt
Topic Summary:
Created On: 14 March 2019 11:16 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 March 2019 11:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

daveparry1

Hi all,
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this Eco Watt power saving gadget? Just been reading about it's amazing claims to reduce electricity costs, apparently just plugs into a socket outlet, I cannot see how it works!
Another one that is being pushed at the moment is the fuel saving one for cars, that one plugs into the OBD2 socket which is used for maintenance etc. I can understand that might be worthwhile as it can alter the programming of the ECU.
 14 March 2019 12:00 PM

mapj1

Not sure about eco watt, (do you have a link ?) but there are two flavours, the sort that are real snake oil, and are just a capacitor to improve the power factor of inductive loads, and some that are more sophistacted ones that really work on induction motors like fridge compressors, where the operation is a cross betweeen a back EMF sensor, to see if the motor is spinning, and a circuit like a thyristor lamp dimmer, to knock chunks of the waveform out once the motor is up to speed. A normal DOL motor needs enough excess grunt to start, especially in a compressor, but once running the input power can be safely reduced witho0ut loss of performance. (a modern VFD can also do this.)
Unless filtered well, these circuits can be an EMC nightmare, I'd be wary of a plug-in one.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 14 March 2019 01:08 PM

kellyselectric

They are mostly a load of rubbish just a capacitor across the mains,with a neon in parallel domestic meters don't care about power factor so these devices are no use ay all see the videos of diode gone wild on you tube where he pulls a couple of them apart after testing them of course
 14 March 2019 01:33 PM

ebee

Snake Oil.
Like the voltage optimiser milarchy

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 14 March 2019 02:06 PM

ectophile

Originally posted by: daveparry1
Another one that is being pushed at the moment is the fuel saving one for cars, that one plugs into the OBD2 socket which is used for maintenance etc. I can understand that might be worthwhile as it can alter the programming of the ECU.

If you are thinking of buying one of the cheap ones that supposedly works on all vehicles, have a watch of the videos posted by "bigclivedotcom" on YouTube first.

There are some totally bogus ones that just flash a few lights when they see activity on the vehicles CANbus.

S P Barker BSc PhD IEng MIET
 15 March 2019 10:12 AM

ToniSM

Pure snake oil. This link just about sums it up.

https://open4energy.com/forum/home/scam/ecoplug

As with voltage optimisers they don't do anything to save money. All they do is empty your wallet when you buy them.

One watt of energy is one watt no matter how you try to hide it.

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.
 17 March 2019 01:11 AM

potential

Snake oil I'd say.
Rather like the Sharp soundbar I saw in Lidl the other day.
40 WATTS it screams on the outside of the box but when you read the user manual it consumes only 10 watts max so it seems we lose 30 watts just by opening the box.
It's not all bad, it claims to have an output of 8 watts per channel so we do get a free 6 watts from somewhere.
 17 March 2019 08:31 AM

ebee

Hahaha,
yes I do rather remember the audio ads in the hifi/electronics mags of yesteryear where claims of several times more watts output was given than the whole bloody input.
Seems they just added every watt description under each channel or setting to give a totally impossible number. I wonder how many were taken in by it?

I assume they not allowed to do it these days.

Although the ASA website gives many examples of "truth bending" even including by some of the more trusted big names.

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 17 March 2019 06:01 PM

AJJewsbury

Ah, audio output in PMPO Watts, if I recall correctly - PMPO = Peak Musical Power Output - i.e. the most the amp can pull from its supply capacitors for a moment or two - not its continuous output.
- Andy.
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.