Topic Title: HEATING CONTROLS
Topic Summary: Recomendations
Created On: 09 March 2019 09:46 pm
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 March 2019 09:46 pm
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

John Peckham

I currently have 3 No 2 port valves that control my water heating and heating upstairs and heating downstairs. Each valve is controlled by a conventional thermostat. There is a neutral at each stat.

The thermostats are supplied from a 2 channel electronic time clock.

I am thinking of upgrading to something more modern as the upstairs bedroom contains the stat for the upstairs is undergoing decoration and the senior management does not like the old Satchwell stat.

I have been looking at Hive and Nest and I am somewhat confused. I am anti having to pay an ongoing charge. The devices seem expensive for a stat.

Do these stats replace the time clock? Are the devices rated to switch the boiler?

Advice and Recomendations from the forum would be most welcome?

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 09 March 2019 10:00 pm

typiod

Hello John I don't think that you need to pay any ongoing charge for the two mentioned, Tado are another make of smart thermoststs and with the Tado you replace the time clock with an extention box and replace the room stat with the new Tado, this can be wired or wireless, you can then add more stats to the system, you set the times in the app on your mobile or on a pc, with the tado you don.t pay an ongoing fee either. With the nest it is the same as the Tado in that you replace the time clock and the room stat, don.t know about the Hive as have never fitted one.
 09 March 2019 10:02 pm

alancapon

Hi John, have you looked at Honeywell Evohome? It allows you to set temperatures for each room individually. Honeywell don't change an ongoing fee, even for remote access via their servers. I have no connection with Honeywell, other than as a satisfied customer of two systems.

Regards,

Alan.
 10 March 2019 09:47 am

AJJewsbury

Depends what functionality you want/need. Do you need to be able to change the settings from anywhere in the world from a smart phone at any time, want a greater number of smaller zones (e.g. per room rather than per floor) or just set a couple different target temperatures for different times of day/day of week and almost never change them?

If the latter then perhaps just swap the thermostats for a programmable version (many makes/models/sizes available) - I prefer mains rather than battery powered ones in terms of just working for year after year without any hassle.; and either remove the timeswitch or just leave it set to always on.

- Andy.
 10 March 2019 10:13 am

potential

10 March 2019 10:18 am

John Peckham

Thanks All

I am not sure if I would want to control my heating remotely but it would be a nice to have. I do not want another standing order to pay or have a free service that later turns in to a charge.

Andy

I have been scanning the Toolstation and Screwix catalogs and, like you, prefer the mains wiring option. The cabling is already there with
a neutral so mains digital thermostat would be my preference but the senior management this end does not like any of my choices. The Nest thermostat looks good although expensive. Can this be used with all the functionality without paying monthly and no remote access? Can it also be used without a monthly charge and connected to a local Elecsa type device?

Above all will it save me money?

John Peckham

10 March 2019 10:29 am

John Peckham

Potential

Thanks that is just what I don't want. I don't want to have to fight with the device when I want to turn the temperature up or down or reach for a manual.

A programmable stat. would be my choice.

John Peckham

10 March 2019 10:35 am

Fm

Have a look at the heat miser website.
Good kit, easy to swap over with your existing neutral.
Looks good, easy to operate.
14 years flawless operation before i changed boiler and fitted boiler manuacturer controller
 10 March 2019 10:45 am

AJJewsbury

Would some of the heatmiser ones fit the aesthetic requirement? e.g. http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk...ogrammable-thermostat/ or http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk...for-radiator-systems/

I've got slightly earlier versions running my system and are happy with them (although like most, changing the program can be a bit tedious). Check carefully which model you need - they have a lot of 12V/networkable ones as well as 230V (which are of course completely incompatible with each other, but look almost identical) - you also need a generously deep flush box to mount them on.

- Andy.
 10 March 2019 11:24 am

wallywombat

I'd suggest a wireless programmable themostat. The receiver unit is wired in near the boiler, while the battery-powered thermostat is put on a shelf somewhere where you care about the temperature (and program what temperature you want on what days and times). The handy thing about it is you can move it to other rooms with you. And if the unit or the the wireless fails for some reason, there's a manual override button on the sender unit.

I wouldn't have an internet-connected thermostat under any circumstances. Someone at some point will find a way to hack it, at which point someone for giggles, or out of malicious intent, or a hostile foreign power, can in the middle of winter disable the heating in millions of homes with a single click of a mouse. Or at an individual level, tell you "give me X bitcoin and I'll turn your heating back on".
 10 March 2019 11:29 am

Grobbyman

John, have a look at the Drayton Wiser kits (KIt 3 specifically). I've fitted Evohome, Netatmo, Nest and Wiser systems and I much prefer the Wiser system.
Just easier to get up and running in the first place and the app is simplle and self explanatory.

Regards
George
 10 March 2019 11:30 am

Grobbyman

Oh and nothing to pay, beyond original cost of the kit.
 10 March 2019 11:42 am

potential

10 March 2019 12:15 pm

chrispearson

John, your Mrs P has said what she doesn't want, but has she said what she does want?

Does 'er indoors want to be able to programme each room or radiator independently?

As far as I can see, the only benefits of these modern systems are the ability to fiddle about with the daily timings. Otherwise, what's wrong with turning your TRVs up and down manually?
 10 March 2019 01:04 pm

JonSteward

I've gone for the Hive system which works with Alexa.
You can shout at Alexa to set the temp. Lovely!
Plus Alexa gives Mrs S someone to talk too when I'm absorbed in the shed.
Not sure if it'll do 2 zones of heating. Certainly one plus the hot water.
Another advantage is you can control the heating remotely. So you can monitor when Mrs.P overrides your commands.
 10 March 2019 03:07 pm

alancapon

Originally posted by: John Peckham
. . . Above all will it save me money?

The Evohome I installed in my bungalow paid for itself in oil savings in a couple of years or so, even allowing it the opportunity to run 24-7. It only heats the rooms I want, when I want them, rather than basing everything on where the thermostat happens to be.

In our Guest House, it is also brilliant as each guest can decide what temperature their room should be at, without affecting anything else.

Regards,

Alan.
 10 March 2019 05:25 pm

Blencathra

I have Hive and find it easy to use, very handy this year as we were abroad for three weeks in January, using an iPad mainly, even the tour bus had WiFi so could monitor temp in the house frequently
 10 March 2019 07:44 pm

Weirdbeard2

hi john, do you have TRVs? If so the upstairs and downstairs thermostats are literally pointless, the zones might as well be be timer controlled only.
 10 March 2019 09:05 pm

chrispearson

Originally posted by: Weirdbeard2

hi john, do you have TRVs? If so the upstairs and downstairs thermostats are literally pointless, the zones might as well be be timer controlled only.

Not quite, but I do largely agree. You need the thermostat in the coldest room in order to avoid the situation in which all the TRVs have closed and the pump is still running. Alternatively, at least one radiator must have no TRV - a towel rail is a good choice.
 11 March 2019 11:58 am

John Peckham

I have TRVs on all rads except in the main rooms up and down where the stats are for the motorised valves. I also have a spring loaded bypass valve for the pump overrun.

Andy's Heat-miser programmable mains powered stat. is looking good from a technical point of view, my vote, and the senior management's view, 2 votes!

John Peckham

IET » Wiring and the regulations » HEATING CONTROLS

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.