Increase font size
Topic Title: One up for the ladies...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 March 2019 05:54 am
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 March 2019 05:54 am
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dustydazzler

http://professional-electricia...-electrical-industry/

To be honest I am surprised how few female plumbers and electricians there are ,

I have noticed way more female painter decorators on building sites but hardly any wet pants or sparks

WhY are the trades still so male dominated?
 09 March 2019 05:57 am

dustydazzler

09 March 2019 10:36 am

Zoomup

Perhaps the ladies prefer the more cerebral jobs that don't destroy their finger nails. In my area we have a female plumber and chimney sweep.

Z.
 09 March 2019 10:56 am

broadgage

It is partly due to the education system, which despite various efforts at reform still tends to assume that girls and boys will go into careers traditional for their gender.

Parent also tend to select presents by gender. Mecano sets and electronics kits are far often given to boys than to girls.
 09 March 2019 12:41 pm

geoffsd

Plumbing and electricianing are hard dirty jobs; girls tend not to like that sort of thing.

I suppose if you were so minded, you could bring up a daughter with the intention of being a coal miner but no one actually wants to do such a job. Some men had to do it.
 09 March 2019 03:19 pm

Legh

The 'girls' in our village are execellent fund raisers.!

Legh

-------------------------

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

de-avatared
 09 March 2019 04:33 pm

Blencathra

I was working in a BAE facility last year and there was a sizeable female representation in all shop floor trades
 09 March 2019 08:22 pm

chrispearson

Originally posted by: dustydazzler

Why are the trades still so male dominated?

I think that nowadays it must reflect lack of interest on the part of most young women.

One used to see rather few female hospital consultants, but the majority of medical students have been female since the mid-80s, so even with the lengthy period of training (20 years after leaving school) there is now a pretty even balance between the sexes. In the case of senior judges (especially the Supreme Court) the balance reflects law students of the 1970s - i.e. predominantly male.

Some people seem to believe that the situation at the top of these professions is wrong, but it ignores the fact that change takes time.

In the same way, I doubt that there are many female electricians or plumbers aged 50 or more, but in this day and age, I doubt that there are any real barriers to entry for female school leavers.

Of course it may be that male and female brains are wired differently.

Edited: 09 March 2019 at 08:29 pm by chrispearson
 09 March 2019 09:06 pm

wallywombat

Anecdote time. A female friend of mine when a sixth-former in the 80's, enrolled in a scheme to encourage girls to choose a career in engineering. As part of this, a bunch of them were taken on a tour of a local factory. Cue lots of wolf-whistles and lewd comments. Cue another bunch of girls deciding engineering wasn't for them.

Perhaps things are better now.
 09 March 2019 09:10 pm

wallywombat

Originally posted by: geoffsdPlumbing and electricianing are hard dirty jobs; girls tend not to like that sort of thing.

And domestic cleaning, nursing the old and doubly incontinent, etc, etc are easy non-dirty jobs??
 09 March 2019 10:10 pm

geoffsd

Different kind of hard and different kind of dirt.

I wouldn't like that kind of hard and dirt. Why would that be?
 10 March 2019 05:43 am

dustydazzler

With the invention on modern power tools like wall chasers and impact drivers etc..

I reckon a physical fit woman could do exactly the same job in 2019

I think it's sad we don't have more female representation on-site
 10 March 2019 10:45 am

Lozmic

Started an MOD aprenticeship in 1968 at a Royal NavaI Aircraft Yard. I have a photo showing about 80 16 yr old boys. Trades covered were electrician, mech fitter, steet metal worker, engine fitter, coppersmith. Within 5 years the government made massive cuts nationally to apprenticeships. The next photo I saw in 1975 showed only 8 new aprentices. Two were girls. As a consequence we have critical skill fade in practical trades. Additionally it became fashionable for school leavers to go to Uni for which many courses do not benefit the country or create wealth. Sadly there are less opportunities for male and female to do an engineeting apprenticedhip today.
 10 March 2019 06:39 pm

mikejumper

Despite the best efforts of various organisations I don't the situation in general contracting will change.
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.