IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 2nd Generation Smart Meters.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08 March 2019 09:23 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 March 2019 09:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zoomup

First generation smart meters are OUT.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/mon...tion-smart-meter.html

Z.
 08 March 2019 09:36 AM

mapj1

so if those numbers are right, and I realise it is the mail, roughly the first 13.2 million meters, of the 13.5 million fitted, are the now obsolete type.

Hmmm. I do despair of the way things happen sometimes.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 08 March 2019 04:30 PM

Legh

Reading that article leaves me with the hope that the government will roll in G4S to conquer all problems as they have done in the past ........

The tried and tested method of estimation of energy usage has been very acurate in the past for customers who stay in one place and for properties that don't change.

Legh

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

de-avatared
 08 March 2019 07:07 PM

jcm256

In conjunction with this thread about smart meters
I looked up info on prepayment meters only because I had a run in with them this past two weeks. The first one was a phone call from a woman to say she had no power could you come and look. Power ok with the volt stick around the cut-out fuse but it was only by standing on a chair could read the high up meter "No money". Had to take the woman to the shop to get a top-up.
The second was a wonder (thinking about smart meters) was that prepayment meters some of them (actually a whole estate) the prepayment meter is close- coupled to the service head no tails shown, how will that render changing to smart meter, scrap the existing, is there a prepayment feature built into smart meter.
no mention of smart meters in the guide below. Only need to know in case someone asks.

https://www.npower.com/idc/groups/wcms_content/@wcms/@resi/documents/digitalassets/prepayment_guide_pdf.pdf

Prepayment meters aren't allowed if a stairlift or homelift is fitted in domestic premises, had to comment on quite a few about that in lift inspections reports in the past. If they whoever they are able to cut of electricity from afar leaving someone stuck in a lift they need to watch it.

jcm
 08 March 2019 07:09 PM

ectophile

It's all down to the government over-zealously implementing EU policy. They kept insisting that most homes had to be fitted with smart meters by 2020, even though everybody knew the failings of the first generation meters. The energy companies were even threatened with fines if they didn't keep fitting the meters.

S P Barker BSc PhD IEng MIET
 08 March 2019 07:12 PM

ectophile

Originally posted by: jcm256
is there a prepayment feature built into smart meter.

It's in the smart meter standard. The difference is that there is no slot in the meter for a key. Instead, the top-up is applied remotely.

Of course, that assumes that the smart meter is actually working as a smart meter in order to receive the top-up.

08 March 2019 09:59 PM

Jaymack

Phone call this morning from a householder having a smart meter fitted. He said that he needed an RCD fitted after the meter, and passed the phone over to the fitter, but I couldn't attend.

Lack of planning on your part, doesn't create an emergency on mine, is the obvious thinking. Who would have paid for the RCD, and why was it not part of the job? Are companies so stoopid?

Regards
 09 March 2019 07:55 PM

ectophile

It's not part of the job because electricity companies don't want to take responsibility for anything after the meter. Many of them won't even fit an isolator. An up-front RCD is the householder's problem.

A really stroppy meter fitter could simply have disconnected the supply on the grounds that the installation is unsafe.

09 March 2019 08:53 PM

alancapon

Originally posted by: ectophile
. . . A really stroppy meter fitter could simply have disconnected the supply on the grounds that the installation is unsafe.

Close. A meter fitter playing by the rules . . .

Regards,

Alan.
 10 March 2019 10:13 AM

broadgage

Will each new generation of smart meters require another upgrade of the consumers installation ? at the customers expense.

2nd generation requires retrofit of an RCD.
3rd generation to require surge protective devices ?
4th generation to require arc fault detection ?
5th generation smart meters to require some new and expensive device not yet invented ?
 10 March 2019 10:50 AM

AJJewsbury

Will each new generation of smart meters require another upgrade of the consumers installation ? at the customers expense.

I suspect the meter fitter was just following normal rules (not reconnecting to a dangerous installation - probably under the ESQCR) - and exactly the same would have happened if he'd be replacing the meter for a non-smart one and came across a TT installation without an RCD.

Although I do wonder if all the electronics in a smart meter mean it can still claim an overvoltage category IV and survive without any upstream SPDs.

- Andy.
 10 March 2019 03:01 PM

alancapon

As Andy says, there are plenty of TT installations where there is no RCD protection fitted, which has been a requirement for several decades. There are also plenty of installations where an electrician has bodged a connection onto the supplier's incoming cable, where the armouring is not suitable for providing a consumer's earth terminal. Together with the millions of missing seals, this is a once in a lifetime chance to sort it all out.

Regards,

Alan.
 10 March 2019 06:43 PM

davidwalker2

If I decide to have a smart meter fitted, how do I know it is a smets2?
David
 10 March 2019 07:43 PM

ectophile

Originally posted by: davidwalker2

If I decide to have a smart meter fitted, how do I know it is a smets2?

David

You wait just a few days, and the old SMETS-1 ones will be banned for new installations.

10 March 2019 07:57 PM

Jaymack

It's not part of the job because electricity companies don't want to take responsibility for anything after the meter. Many of them won't even fit an isolator. An up-front RCD is the householder's problem.

I would expect those who receive requests for fitting smart meters, to check beforehand and advise a customer if their installation doesn't meet their requirements; not wait until the fitting stage and create an emergency, more expense and inconvenience.

Regards
 11 March 2019 05:37 AM

ebee

Originally posted by: Jaymack

I would expect those who receive requests for fitting smart meters, to check beforehand and advise a customer if their installation doesn't meet their requirements; not wait until the fitting stage and create an emergency, more expense and inconvenience.

Regards

Spot on. Entirely unprofessional. Kick the supplier into the long grass.

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 11 March 2019 07:53 AM

mapj1

Well if they were organised, they'd be fitting dual pole isolators as well. The problem is that no-one, DNO, customer nor the metering company, actually have a record of what the earthing is supposed to be in many places without actually coming to look at it, and if it is TNS but rotted off in the street, as many have, then the choices are either convert to PME or to TT.

regards Mike
 11 March 2019 12:16 PM

ebee

Exactly, had one tother week. Between tennants, can I do a periodic.
Bad rings, bad contacts on cheeap sockets and no incomming earth although presents as TNS.
I bet it was like that for years, certainly prior last PIR (5 years) and new CU (ten years) but the the bonding was supplying an earth reading..

Got customer to ask supplier what Earthing type and Ze, after a big kerfuffle "Oh we do not keep records, we will have to come and check then PME it at no cost to you". Well they ended up digging the garden up to attach an earth. I`ll bet the rest of the street was similar.

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 11 March 2019 01:11 PM

ectophile

Originally posted by: Jaymack

Regards

You can expect all you like. But it won't happen if it costs money.

The electricity company would have to send out somebody with a working knowledge of BS7671 to carry out a pre-inspection before booking in the meter fitter. That costs money, and also means that the customer would have to take two days off work.

Much cheaper to just send out a meter fitter. If the meter fitter doesn't like the look of the installation, they just walk away. Not an emergency on their part. For the majority of installations, that just means one visit.

16 March 2019 07:44 AM

gel

From yesterday power companies should have been only installing Smets2 meters, BUT>>>
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/16/smart-meters-switching-problems-still-installed-homes-deadline/

Gel__Big Brother is here
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.