IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Reduce CO2 & pollution. Alternative new energy generation solutions.
Topic Summary: Which is your favourite?
Created On: 20 February 2019 11:26 am
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 February 2019 11:26 am
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zoomup

Some amazing new energy generating systems that are available today. Which is your favourite?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKXnQnaiqI8

Z.
 20 February 2019 12:30 pm

OMS

For me, the situation is quite simple (and we should do this regardless of climate change or otherwise)

1 - We need to get the demand down- use less basically

2 - Meet that lower demand so that the methods of generation are "reasonable" - the stone age didn't come to an end because of a lack of stones - so we shouldn't be making oil, gas and coal into the equivalent of the devils spawn

3 - Keep introducing renewables into the mix, so we gradually move from a higher carbon to a lower carbon energy supply

All the technologies have a place, but we shouldn't be forcing the use of any particular technology (and we currently do, because of skewed market economics and subsidy)

I favour a precautionary approach to climate change - we do need to consider energy security and energy poverty as part of that dialogue - like my stone age analogy, technologies will develop - so it's important that we keep the focus on demand not generation

Regards

OMS

-------------------------
Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
 20 February 2019 12:47 pm

broadgage

I am very doubtful indeed.

1) Thermal energy from deep underground, unlikely to be viable due to engineering challenges, and the nimby factor. Would add to global warming since it brings to the surface extra heat that would otherwise remain confined deep underground.

2) Small water turbines, undoubtedly work but the output is very limited and cant be scaled up as few sites have enough head and flow. Shows promise for remote and hilly places but of negligible output if compared to national demand.

3) High altitude wind turbines held aloft by balloons, no reason it cant work, but the economics look very doubtful. Menace to aviation, vulnerable to high winds.
Possible worth considering in disaster relief since cellphone antennae, radio broadcast aerials, and floodlights could be affixed, all of which would be most useful when other facilities are not available.

4) Tidal power using water flow rather than water impounded behind a dam. No reason that it wont work, apart from the vast costs of the civil works, and environmental issues regarding silting up of some places and erosion of others.

5) Floating PV arrays, No reason that it wont work but it looks very costly and very vulnerable to extreme weather if compared to the more established technology of PV arrays atop existing structures.

I have more faith an expansion of existing and well understood technologies including wind turbines on towers, PV on existing and new structures, and tidal barrages.
 20 February 2019 03:07 pm

jammyc

@Broadgage:
#5 (Floating PV) is a reality. Several sites are operational and more are WIP
United Utilities link
UU aren't going to be doing it for fun; it will have a genuine economic case (with, I believe, the added bonus of reducing algal blooms).

Tidal flow turbines were trialled in the Humber a while back, but government support for the R&D of a number of embryo technologies was pulled primarily for ideological reasons.
 20 February 2019 04:46 pm

Zoomup

Is the floating solar project this one?

http://www.unitedutilities.com...-lancaster-reservoir/

Z.
 20 February 2019 04:50 pm

Zoomup

I understand that solar panels like to run cool, so those just above a cool water lake may benefit from the cool water and air below them

Z.
 20 February 2019 05:21 pm

jammyc

Yes that was the one I linked to.
Indeed they do like to be cool. Also the albedo of water is quite high so I'd expect a gain there too.
 22 February 2019 08:29 pm

psychicwarrior

nuclear fusion ... how dare I
 26 February 2019 09:19 pm

HarryJMacdonald

No need for vast civil works for tidal power:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-45246445
 27 February 2019 06:42 pm

Zoomup

Originally posted by: HarryJMacdonald

No need for vast civil works for tidal power:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-s...y-shetland-45246445[/q

That is impressive Harry, there certainly are some strong tidal streams in the cold salty waters there. I suppose that it is not too deep to anchor such craft permanently.

Z.
 27 February 2019 07:56 pm

HarryJMacdonald

And the unit sees fairly small compared to the width of the channel it is in so it should be able to be scaled up to a few hundred.The main problem is one of it being intermittent, but at least it is predictable unlike solar and wind. It seems as though they are coupling it with a plant to generate hydrogen when the demand is low.
 27 February 2019 07:58 pm

HarryJMacdonald

The scheme I would like to see more of is a central heating water heater that uses the cooling water from a small generator. The advantage of this is that it generates electricity at the time it is most needed, i.e. cold evenings.In effect you get the normal amount of hot water from your gas and free electricity.
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.