IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Light Years Ahead.
Topic Summary: Green Energy and Modern Systems.
Created On: 15 February 2019 07:53 pm
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 February 2019 07:53 pm
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zoomup

Please just have a little look at what Denmark is doing to reduce energy consumption, pollution and to get greener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JxKOJSNNBQ

Z.
 15 February 2019 09:42 pm

potential

All a bit simplistic IMO.
Major difficulties blissfully brushed over, for instance upgrading existing housing, taking for granted their community heating etc.

I did not understand the last comment concerning not having to expand the sewage system at all.
 16 February 2019 09:38 am

tomgunn

I HATE, with a vengeance... wind turdbines!!

-------------------------
Tom.... (The TERMINATOR).

handyTRADESMAN

Castle Builders
 16 February 2019 11:10 am

broadgage

I understood that the various water saving measures put into place would negate the need for extra sewage treatment capacity, since less water used means less sewage produced.
 17 February 2019 03:22 pm

Legh

"Green livable cities require a holistic approach to transportation infrastructure and climate adaptations"

Has anybody achieved this in the world?

"intelligent mobility solutions control trafic congestion leading to less polution and clean air"

Public transport? driverless cars high speed trains?... this would have to include lorries, maybe we can get the real polution generators such as China, America, Russia .... lol
moving on.....

"Green and Blue solutions are cheaper than expanding the sewage system "

Whiskey Tango Foxtrott is tha last sentance about ?

Legh

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

de-avatared
 17 February 2019 06:58 pm

mikejumper

Originally posted by: broadgage
I understood that the various water saving measures put into place would negate the need for extra sewage treatment capacity, since less water used means less sewage produced.

And less electricity used.
 17 February 2019 06:59 pm

mikejumper

Originally posted by: tomgunn
I HATE, with a vengeance... wind turdbines!!

What would be your alternative Tom?
 17 February 2019 07:23 pm

davidwalker2

"Green liveable cities require a holistic approach to transportation infrastructure and climate adaptations"
"intelligent mobility solutions control traffic congestion leading to less pollution and clean air"

I was in Christchurch New Zealand after the first earthquake (actually, during the second earthquake but that is another story). Planning for rebuilding had already started with the principle: "If you plan a city for cars, you get cars. If you plan for people, you get people."
You can do this if you are more or less starting from scratch but not so easy and much more disruptive piecemeal in an existing development.
 17 February 2019 07:34 pm

Legh

That would be similar to composting or a chemical loo?
Rather basic i would have thought. The use of recycled water might be better. There is an advantage with composting and that might be the reduction in fatbergs

Legh

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

de-avatared
 18 February 2019 09:57 am

tomgunn

Originally posted by: mikejumper

I HATE, with a vengeance... wind turdbines!! [IMG][/IMG]

What would be your alternative Tom?

Hello Mike,

My 'alternative' would be... chop EVERY single useless one DOWN... make some fancy arty thing out of them... get the country to grow some 'balls' and build nuclear power stations as, haha, when we're FORCED to buy only electric powered cars' then we'll be running out of electric's, haha! Do NOT let China, who have now pulled out OR French France build them... I have another idea, you'll love this, WE build them!

OK, I can see where this is going... my point is simple... they are a waste of time, apart from the tree hugging lot... and RUIN our landscape / sea area's too.

Luv ya... haha!

handyTRADESMAN

Castle Builders
 18 February 2019 01:13 pm

mikejumper

OK, I can see where this is going... my point is simple... they are a waste of time, apart from the tree hugging lot... and RUIN our landscape / sea area's too.
Luv ya... haha!

Really Tom, what can I say
 19 February 2019 08:29 am

tomgunn

Originally posted by: mikejumper

Luv ya... haha! [IMG][/IMG]

Really Tom, what can I say [IMG]/forums/forum/i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif" border="0[/IMG]

Well, Mike. I guess we're poll's apart in our thinking and, best all around... and I don't get into loooong posts anymore... that we leave our thoughts here... innit?

handyTRADESMAN

Castle Builders
 19 February 2019 11:11 am

mikejumper

Well, Mike. I guess we're poll's apart in our thinking and, best all around... and I don't get into loooong posts anymore... that we leave our thoughts here... innit? [IMG][/IMG]

Not so far apart on everything Tom, I'm not that keen on seeing them in the landscape either, although I don't mind seeing them offshore.
 19 February 2019 01:11 pm

ectophile

To me, wind turbines are just big windmills, and we've had windmills for centuries.

In a reasonably windy day, then collectively they can generate several gigawatts of power across the UK. That's not a trivial amount, and they do it while producing no pollution.

S P Barker BSc PhD IEng MIET
 19 February 2019 01:23 pm

CMK3PD

The real question is, what environmental impact are wind turbines having?
The wind has blown across the country for millennia, doing what mother nature intended for it to do. We waltz up take the energy out of the wind thinking it's very green. Give it a few years and we realise somethings's not quite the way it used to be. No pollination, weather patterns changing etc. Why because we stopped the wind doing its job.
The numbers we have just now might not have a huge impact, but build enough to be a realistic source of energy... it's got disaster movie written all over it
 19 February 2019 01:38 pm

AJJewsbury

The real question is, what environmental impact are wind turbines having?
The wind has blown across the country for millennia, doing what mother nature intended for it to do. We waltz up take the energy out of the wind thinking it's very green. Give it a few years and we realise somethings's not quite the way it used to be. No pollination, weather patterns changing etc. Why because we stopped the wind doing its job.
The numbers we have just now might not have a huge impact, but build enough to be a realistic source of energy... it's got disaster movie written all over it

Probably less of an effect than taking down all the tall trees - with all the resistance they provided to wind - before man forest used to cover almost the entire UK.
- Andy.
 19 February 2019 01:38 pm

broadgage

Wind turbines do slightly reduce wind speeds downwind thereof, I doubt that this will have any adverse effects for two reasons.
Firstly, most of the energy in the wind would otherwise be spent in friction due to contact with the ground, vegetation and man made structures.
Secondly, average wind speeds are increasing as the climate warms, so extracting energy from the wind is restoring "natural" conditions.
Wind power has reached over 12GW and routinely exceeds 10GW, thereby saving a great deal of natural gas, this gives at least three gains.
Firstly reduced carbon emissions from the gas not burnt.
Secondly reduced consumption of foreign currency that would other wise be spent on gas imports.
Thirdly, improved energy security. Wind power produced within our borders is more secure against foreign interference than is imported gas.
The wind power industry also provides more employment within the UK than does a gas import terminal.
 19 February 2019 03:26 pm

tomgunn

Originally posted by: ectophile

To me, wind turbines are just big windmills, and we've had windmills for centuries.

In a reasonably windy day, then collectively they can generate several gigawatts of power across the UK. That's not a trivial amount, and they do it while producing no pollution.

handyTRADESMAN

Castle Builders
 19 February 2019 04:37 pm

chrispearson

Originally posted by: ectophile

... and they do it while producing no pollution.

Just like EVs produce no pollution.

Does anybody in here know how much energy is expended in making a big wind turbine? And how long does it take before more than that has been produced?

(I have read long ago that a typical car uses as much energy in its manufacture as it consumes during its working life.)
 19 February 2019 06:32 pm

broadgage

I have heard, but can not substantiate, that wind turbines take about 6 months of normal use in order to repay the energy used in construction.
Does anyone have a source for this ?

If we are going to take account of the energy used in construction of wind turbines, and arguably we should, then the energy used to build gas or coal fired power plants should also be considered.
The stated carbon emissions from fuel burning plants are invariably only the day to day chimney stack emissions, and take no account of the energy used in construction.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Light Years Ahead.

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.