IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How poor a sparky do you need to be to ...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05 February 2019 09:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05 February 2019 09:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

alanblaby

How poor a sparky do you need to be to write up a false / made up Installation Certificate, without checking if the circuits are actually live?

I was called to a house today. New Tenant, rather miffed as he couldnt get the heating on, as the feed to the boiler was dead.
First thing I did was check all breakers are on, it was a split load board, all of RCD2's circuits were dead. OK, press the RCD test button, and nothing happened.
OK, I thought the RCD had died. Opened the cover then the first fault was obvious - the neutral tail on the incoming side of RCD2 was loose inside the CU. Right, how did that happen, then found there was no way the tail could have got into the position it was in without some help with long nosed pliers.
Reseat and tighten the terminals, turn on, and the circuits are still dead. OK, test at the incoming terminals, yes, live, test at the outgoing, again, live, test at the circuit breaker input busbar - dead.
OK, turn off again to find the person who fitted this board had not got the busbar in the terminal box of the RCD. Reseat that, then all was well. The incoming live tail was also very loose, 4 turns of the screwdriver to get it tight.
I rang the House Owner, to find out what was happening, he told me it was a new CU fitted last Thursday, and he had the Install Certificate in front of him, including live tests for all of the circuits that had never been live, along with RCD test results.

I'd go as far as saying that's criminal behaviour.
If the person who had installed it had actually gone round and done a plug in loop test, then none of this would have been found out, and he would just carry on bodging his way around, but , unbelievably, he hadn't even checked if the circuits were live before saying he'd finished.
As a consequence, 6 houses he has worked on now have to have EICR's to check for any other faults he may have 'missed'.
 05 February 2019 09:36 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: alanblaby
As a consequence, 6 houses he has worked on now have to have EICR's to check for any other faults he may have 'missed'.

You'd wonder how this individual is getting the work.
On price, perhaps?
 05 February 2019 09:42 PM

perspicacious

The OP reads as if the owner has engaged the guy on 6 of his houses so I'm surprised with this wealth, experience and income, the owner appears to have gone for the cheapest..............

Regards

BOD
 05 February 2019 10:04 PM

gel

Add this on your quotes;
'It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little.
When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all.
When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought
was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.
The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done.
If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run,
and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.' John Ruskin

-------------------------
Gel__Big Brother is here
 05 February 2019 10:56 PM

alanblaby

Without going into too much detail, the Landlord has many houses, I generally maintain them, but empty houses are nearly always subbed out, as they sometimes need a few days work to get up to standard, the guy employed on this was an Agency worker, who had been doing the job only for the last week. I'll get more details tomorrow, but I was told another house was found with similar serious faults.
 05 February 2019 11:19 PM

dustydazzler

Which scam are they with ??

Shoddy rubbish work is one thing and happens if you are ham fisted about your work

But falsified documents is another matter

You have to be calm cold and calculating to go around falsifying documents
 05 February 2019 11:43 PM

chrispearson

Originally posted by: alanblaby

I'd go as far as saying that's criminal behaviour.

Potentially fraud contrary to S. 2 of the Fraud Act 2006?
 06 February 2019 12:25 AM

mapj1

good to read how well the Part P competent person stuff is working in practice. Not.
I imagine the same sort of shysters will be doing rental safety inspections if they do become a requirement at some point. Presumably with some variation of a "test one and get the results of another one for free" kind of deal.

regards Mike
 06 February 2019 07:13 AM

ebee

Or test one and copy the results for the whole 20

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 06 February 2019 07:56 AM

dustydazzler

More like 50

I can see the copy and paste functions on laptops up and down the country going into hyperdrive
 06 February 2019 01:20 PM

kellyselectric

Do these scumbags have no Morales no conciense?
 06 February 2019 02:17 PM

chrispearson

Originally posted by: dustydazzler

I can see the copy and paste functions on laptops up and down the country going into hyperdrive

Some years ago a colleague who dealt with claims for noise-induced hearing loss showed me some near identical claims from one particularly active ambulance chaser and grumbled about 'cut and paste'.

I don't think that they did cut and paste - it was more like a template. Fill in the name, etc. and send it off!
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.