Topic Title: Adiabatic equation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 25 January 2019 06:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 29 January 2019 03:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zoomup

I've only ever seen a tinned copper braid, like a car earthing lead from the battery to the chassis, or a 3 or 7 stranded tinned copper earthing lead/earthing conductor soldered onto the lead sheath of a P.I.L.C. cable, never just one single strand. I can only imagine that the single strand has been installed by a D.I.Y.er or that the installation is so old that it initially just had a few lights only.

Z.
 29 January 2019 05:35 PM

Bewlec

It's a stranded cable, soldered onto sheath then connected to MET on cutout board, but not sure on number of cores off the top of my head, but going back this weekend to sort other faults so I'll confirm back then. As UKPN mentions, it is probably 7.029 as I thought it was approx 2.5mm.
 29 January 2019 05:56 PM

chrispearson

Originally posted by: Bewlec

It's a stranded cable, soldered onto sheath then connected to MET on cutout board, but not sure on number of cores off the top of my head, but going back this weekend to sort other faults so I'll confirm back then. As UKPN mentions, it is probably 7.029 as I thought it was approx 2.5mm.

If it's like mine, it is two strands of 4 sqmm (2.25 mm diameter), which with both ends makes 16 sqmm overall. I have to say, that it doesn't look like much, but I have checked it.

29 January 2019 06:22 PM

Zoomup

That looks like three conductors twisted together Chris.

Z.
 29 January 2019 08:11 PM

Bewlec

Similar Chris, but it is not as thick. Imagine stripping some 7.029 from an old socket circuit and that's the approx size.
How do you add photos?
 29 January 2019 08:26 PM

AJJewsbury

How do you add photos?

This forum won't host photos for you - you need to upload them somewhere else on the internet that's public, then link to them (e.g. using the button in the reply box). (Or if it's a big picture, just include a simple link to the picture in your post - that way the layout won't get messed up and we won't have to suffer useful things being obscured by the adverts)

The new Forum is far better is that respect (you can upload all kinds of images and files into your own folder and then reference then in as many posts as you like) - indeed you could upload them into the new Forum and then link to them to a post here in the old Forum with a bit of effort.

- Andy.
 29 January 2019 09:37 PM

mapj1

The modern way is not solder but these things - constant force springs used in conjunction with flat multi-strand braid which gets squished by the small force from each of several turns of the spring.
Not for us to put them on DNO cables of course, but handy for pipework in situations where the BS951 type clamp is likely to get shaken off or not make good contact, or lead pipes and cable armours of odd sixes. I have used them to make contact to the braid of a very chunky coax cable part way along for example (and then covered back in with self amalgamating tape.)
Fitting them is a bit of a knack, as they combine the twang of clock spring and the sharp edge of a freshly opened tin can, so some practice is needed.

-------------------------
regards Mike
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Adiabatic equation

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.