IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Fitting new electric oven and hob.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 21 January 2019 12:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 January 2019 12:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Fitzy71

A friend from work has asked me to install their new electric oven & hob, but the new oven they ordered is slightly bigger than the old one, so the hob when fitted will be touching the top of the oven. Is this a major problem or ok to proceed and install as normal?
 21 January 2019 12:46 PM

AJJewsbury

See what the manufacturer's installation instructions say - usually there are requirements for gaps for heat dissipation....
- Andy.
 21 January 2019 12:48 PM

AJJewsbury

Also some of the larger (e.g. double) ovens are intended to fit between two cabinets rather than inside a cabinet - which gives you the extra thickness of the cabinet floor (15-18mm) to play with.
- Andy.
 21 January 2019 12:49 PM

KFH

The manufacturers instructions normally give details of any clearances required. Phone the manufacturers support line if it is not clear in the instruction. I would be concerned about having them actually touching.

Edit: I am going to have to improve my typing speeds two answers while I am typing.
 21 January 2019 04:14 PM

Fitzy71

Thanks for the replies guys.

When I got there, it turned out they'd ordered a built in oven instead of an under cabinet oven with feet. I fitted the new hob and they're gonna buy another (correct) oven instead and get me back to fit it.
 22 January 2019 03:28 PM

Fitzy71

The new oven they purchased didn't come with any cable attached and old oven was connected to the oven switch with some orange flex cable of an unknown csa.

Is it ok to use flex cable from the oven to the cooker switch, I always thought it had be the same rated/size cable for the entire circuit?

Edited: 22 January 2019 at 03:35 PM by Fitzy71
 22 January 2019 03:36 PM

AJJewsbury

. Is it ok to use flex cable from the oven to the cooker switch?

In general yes (subject to c.s.a. etc as usual). Check the manufactuer's recommendation - they often specify a particular type of flex (often rubber - presumably to withstand the heat).

I always thought it had be the same rated/size cable for the entire circuit?

It's often convenient for calculation & testing to have things uniform - but there's no actual requirement to do so (as long as overcurrent protection is maintained). Pendant lights are usually in 0.75mm2 even though the rest of the lighting circuit is in 1.0 or 1.5mm2.

- Andy.
 22 January 2019 03:42 PM

Zoomup

I carry convenient lengths of black 3 core 4.0mm2 butyl rubber heat resisting flex for connection to ovens or hobs where an integral flex is not included with the appliance. It is very flexible and easy to terminate and stands up to heat very well. It is H.O.F.R., heat and oil resistant and flame retardant rated.

This sort of flex http://www.batt.co.uk/products...exible-Cable-H07BN4-F

Z.
 22 January 2019 03:55 PM

Fitzy71

Would this type of cable be ok?

4mm² 3 Core HO7RNF Rubber Flexible Cable
 22 January 2019 04:07 PM

AJJewsbury

Probably, but not guaranteed. It's not quite got the heat resistance of the stuff Zoomup linked to, and H07 (700V) types can be a fair bit chunkier than the H05 (500V) types that manufacturers often recommend - so might or might not fit into the entry hole and cord grip...
- Andy.
 22 January 2019 04:09 PM

mapj1

that is the right sort of stuff, but for an oven unless its many KW, 4mm2 is a bit OTT, and may be a squeeze at the terminals.
Many ovens are less than 13A and 2.5mm2 is far easier to work with.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 22 January 2019 04:29 PM

Fitzy71

I've ordered a few meters of 2.5mm, 4mm & 6mm to keep on the Van. The new hob i fitted yesterday used 4mm2 t&e which was a perfect fit in the cable clamps, I'll do a test fit of the cable before I actually fit the new oven.
 22 January 2019 05:36 PM

Zoomup

Originally posted by: Fitzy71

Yes that is rated at 85 degrees C. I have yet to find ordinary PVC/PVC heat damaged by an oven or hob to a dangerous extent and that is rated at 70 degrees C. But in enclosed spaces the 85 degree rated flex should fare well. Sometimes the flex can be draped over an oven if supplying a hob above, so heat resisting flex is good. 318TQ HN5BN4-F should be better for domestic use.

http://www.electronicsarena.co...-heat-resistant-cable

Z.

Edited: 22 January 2019 at 05:43 PM by Zoomup
 22 January 2019 06:40 PM

Farmboy

Originally posted by: Zoomup

Yes that is rated at 85 degrees C. I have yet to find ordinary PVC/PVC heat damaged by an oven or hob to a dangerous extent and that is rated at 70 degrees C. But in enclosed spaces the 85 degree rated flex should fare well. Sometimes the flex can be draped over an oven if supplying a hob above, so heat resisting flex is good. 318TQ HN5BN4-F should be better for domestic use.

http://www.electronicsarena.co...resistant-cable

Z.
 22 January 2019 06:51 PM

Farmboy

http://www.electronicsarena.co...resistant-cable

Z.

Funnily enough i was looking at 318*TQ flex this afternoon. CEF have it rated at 90oc, b&q at 80oc and the site linked to at 85oc. I'm more inclined to believe manufacturers than suppliers.
 22 January 2019 07:15 PM

Zoomup

Farmboy,
I have used this type of heat resisting flex on immersion heaters (uncovered) and storage heaters etc. with great success. It is flexible and easy to terminate. I have never found it to have suffered heat deterioration even inside the terminal cover of immersions heaters. Oh, and when new it smells really nice as well. Quite addictive actually. Almost as good as new car interior smell.

Z.
 22 January 2019 07:27 PM

Farmboy

Farmboy,

I have used this type of heat resisting flex on immersion heaters (uncovered) and storage heaters etc. with great success. It is flexible and easy to terminate. I have never found it to have suffered heat deterioration even inside the terminal cover of immersions heaters. Oh, and when new it smells really nice as well. Quite addictive actually. Almost as good as new car interior smell.

Z.

I know what you mean about the new car smell being addictive, when i bought my new Van i had a job to keep a friend out of it through loving the smell.

Your reply was spooky actually, i just logged back in to ask you a question about Imm Htrs, and there you'd answered it!

I was going to ask out of interest what flex do you use for Imm Htrs given manufacturers can explicitly state 90oc - or at least the last one i installed did, which accommodated the thermal cutout.

F
 23 January 2019 08:35 AM

Zoomup

Yep 3183TQ is great for immersion heaters. Flexible and easy to terminate. I have used it without problems for years. I use 1.5mm2 for immersion heaters as the terminals are quire small and 2.5mm2 is oversized for that application.

Z.
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.