Increase font size
Topic Title: smart tv`s my *****
Topic Summary:
Created On: 18 January 2019 12:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 January 2019 12:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

garywwess

After 36 years of doing domestic installations I consider myself a bit of a fault finding expert, heating faults, alarms, earth faults, idiotic DIY repairs.. but this has me stumped.. 3 hrs stripping things down and testing with no result,.. every time the hard wired roomstat reaches "satisfied" and turns itself off... the flipping "smart" tv in the lounge goes into standby... that's not occasionally.. that's every couple of minutes .. and no, its not coincidental, if I alter the temp.. its as reliable as using the tv remote... any suggestions ?? in the meantime im opening a bottle of whisky... its been a really bad day..
gary
 18 January 2019 01:11 PM

mapj1

The tv presumably sees a 'glitch' from the thermostat as sufficient dip in the mains to think the mains supply has been removed and restored, so powers back on in standby. Does the TV also reset with other nasty loads switching, such as florries, the fridge, or sparky motors ? Can you hear a contact click on a LW/MW radio held near, and tuned to a quiet part of the band ?

I'd assume for now that the impulse is getting round on the wiring, rather than as a radiated EMP. (as if the latter you are into screened room territory whcih is not practical)
Also check that the braid of the TV antenna cable is earthed to the mains earth near the TV socket - many times they are not and can form an accidental long wire low frequency aeriel - depending who did the TV antenna install, they are often 'left floating', until quite recently this was common practice, and many installers are not that up to date. (the wanted TV signal is a few microvolts between the inner and outer of the coax, but sometimes far bigger voltages than the TV can handle pile up between the outer and the local ground.)

If the heating and the TV are on the same circuit, as a quick try out, can you try the TV fed by an extension lead from say another socket circuti, or even the lights ?
If that works, longer term some filtering either on the boiler circuit, or an RC snubber accross the thermostat contacts (or from command live to neutral at the boiler ) may be in order, or if the TV is especially vulnerable to all sorts of triggers, then L-C filtering in the supply lead to the TV.

-------------------------
regards Mike

Edited: 18 January 2019 at 01:17 PM by mapj1
 18 January 2019 02:40 PM

Alcomax

To add to above, does the TV still go into standby with the co ax cable unplugged? Presumably this "fault" is recent, so what has been introduced to the house...the TV or the thermostat? Hard wired room stats do vary in quality. As you are aware, some require a neutral, some do not. Possibly the original , on a 3 core and earth, was a neutral type subsequently replaced with a no neutral room stat and the switching is more clunky? Perhaps, if wiring and connections are easily accessible at the boiler position or programmer, temporarily connect the room stat at source and see if that is a "fix". You could then explore the possibility of fitting a RF room stat as a solution.
 18 January 2019 04:47 PM

Weirdbeard2

Hi Gary, has this been going on for long? What TV is it, and what type of heating do you have? The thermostat being satisfied every couple of minutes would seem a bit quick to me.
 21 January 2019 08:10 AM

garywwess

Hi All, regards the tv.. its a samsung.. nothing else affects it.. roomstat is a honeywell 707.. battery opperated, switching a 240v pair.. a similar unit controls the upstairs zone but also dosent affect the tv so im thinking its a proximity thing.. wish i had thought of checking if it was the motorised valve by linking out the switching pair with the roomstat removed.. but anyway, its obviously a random "glitch" being picked up by a too sensative receiver.. so im absolving myself and suggesting a new tv ??
gary
 21 January 2019 01:17 PM

kellyselectric

I would try a filtered socket for the TV if that sorts it out then you can either feed the TV or the boiler via a series circuit as well just to be sure of trouble free operation. I done think it would be an RF thru the air problem as I cant see how that would make it turn off my tv displays a no signal message and a 5 minute countdown If it it loses signal although mine isn't a smart TV. As i said I done think signal loss would cause that anyway please let us know how you get on I'm interested to know the outcome
 21 January 2019 01:17 PM

kellyselectric

I would try a filtered socket for the TV if that sorts it out then you can either feed the TV or the boiler via a series circuit as well just to be sure of trouble free operation. I done think it would be an RF thru the air problem as I cant see how that would make it turn off my tv displays a no signal message and a 5 minute countdown If it it loses signal although mine isn't a smart TV. As i said I done think signal loss would cause that anyway please let us know how you get on I'm interested to know the outcome
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.