Topic Title: Caravan Adaptor.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 17 January 2019 04:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 January 2019 03:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AJJewsbury

Unless an inquisitive child removes the adaptor from a caravan at home, whilst the caravan is parked on the drive, and then takes it into the house and plugs it into a mains' socket.

If, as someone suggested earlier, the 12V connections use the "N" and "PE" pins, then the risk really is minimal.
- Andy.
 19 January 2019 04:41 PM

Zoomup

If, as someone suggested earlier, the 12V connections use the "N" and "PE" pins, then the risk really is minimal.

If. Is there a national standard for such an arrangement using a 2 Amp 3 pin plug Andy, or is it just down to pot luck?

Z.
 19 January 2019 06:10 PM

Zoomup

I have just observed that a quantity of new M.K. 2 Amp 3 pin plugs have just been sold on an international auction site. The reason: a recent rewire. So, they are still in use then. Amazing.

Z.
 20 January 2019 02:33 PM

Weirdbeard2

Originally posted by: Zoomup

Originally posted by: Weirdbeard2

These adaptors are usually purchased for a particular purpose where it is desirable to retain the manufacturers fuse incorporated in the cigar lighter style plug , so the socket is likely to largely occupied by a specific appliance, the chances that the adaptor will be taken from a caravan and plugged into a mains powered socket must be staggeringly remote.

Unless an inquisitive child removes the adaptor from a caravan at home, whilst the caravan is parked on the drive, and then takes it into the house and plugs it into a mains' socket

Not very many houses typically have 2 Amp mains sockets, and those that do would be very likely to have light fittings connected from which the bulb is easily removed revealing live and neutral parts that are not finger proof.

2A 3 pin sockets are used less these days but in the 60s and 70s they were used more in a lounge for a lighting supply around the room with a switch by the entrance door. The use of 2A 3 pin sockets prevented 13 Amp plugs being plugged into them as the circuit was only fused at 5 Amps or less. A sort of switched lighting circuit for table lamps and standard lamps positioned around a room. The 2 Amp 3 pin plugs being unfused of course. It was very impressive to be able to switch on the lights around the room from just one door switch.

These days there are alternative methods to obtain the same results. But there must still be houses with 2 Amp 3 pin sockets in use.

Thanks for the history, I can reassure you that there are definitely some houses that use 2 Amp 3 pin sockets, but generally not many in my experience.

Before you go all pants-outside-trousers at your local camping equipment suppliers, would you say it's more dangerous than any normal plug in lamp with an open lamp holder?
 20 January 2019 02:58 PM

Zoomup

M.K. Shockguard lamp holders have shuttered contacts to reduce the risk of electric shock.

http://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/p...mpholder-ceiling-rose

Z.
 20 January 2019 03:23 PM

Weirdbeard2

M.K. Shockguard lamp holders have shuttered contacts to reduce the risk of electric shock.

[L=link removed by me.
[/L]

Not a great example, ceiling roses/ pendant sets are typically out of reach of your alledged "inquisitive finger"?
 20 January 2019 04:59 PM

mapj1

Though sometimes low level lamps and children mix, or bedside lamps.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 20 January 2019 05:43 PM

chrispearson

I rather like 2 A sockets on lighting circuits, but you can overdo it - daughter's house has loads of them. I have found only one on a socket circuit. Just another C2 for grandpa to fix.
 20 January 2019 06:13 PM

Zoomup

The forum member called bizzard (scroll down) on this boating forum suggests that the 2 Amp 3 pin sockets used for 12 Volt d.c. on boats use the L pin for positive and the N pin for negative. So an adaptor from a 2 Amp 3 pin plug to a 12 Volt open cigar lighter type socket could be very dangerous if that is the case, if the adaptor is plugged into a mains socket.

http://www.canalworld.net/foru...-12v-three-pin-plugs/

Z.
 21 January 2019 10:31 AM

Zoomup

Update. I now have confirmation that the 12 Volt adaptor that I saw on display at a local caravan/camping equipment shop, has its connections to the Line and Neutral of the 2A 3 Pin mains' plug. This could certainly pose a shock risk if plugged into a mains' socket.

Z.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Caravan Adaptor.

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.