IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: ANNOUNCEMENT: Changes to the IET's Wiring and the Regulations forum
Topic Summary:
Created On: 15 January 2019 10:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 January 2019 11:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Lisamiles

Originally posted by: Weirdbeard2

Hi Lisa, thanks for the reply, i am using windows 3.2 with a raspberry pi, connected through a Commodore 64 to a serial bus. 88bhp gigapulse modulator

But Weirdbeard, is that 88bhp gigapulse modulator nuclear or biomass fuel powered?

-------------------------
Lisa

Online Community Manager - Engineering Communities
 21 January 2019 05:12 PM

Weirdbeard2

Originally posted by: Lisamiles

Originally posted by: Weirdbeard2

Hi Lisa, thanks for the reply, i am using windows 3.2 with a raspberry pi, connected through a Commodore 64 to a serial bus. 88bhp gigapulse modulator [IMG][/IMG]

But Weirdbeard, is that 88bhp gigapulse modulator nuclear or biomass fuel powered? [IMG]/forums/forum/i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif" border="0[/IMG]

Apologies, my mistake, I have consulted my IT expert and apparently this is called an EYE pad, it does a have battery back up when not plugged in to an outlet but I am not sure what fuels it
 21 January 2019 08:58 PM

mapj1

Joking aside, - although I have reserved my username by the on-line form, no Email has been received here to tel me to do so and to indicate the changeover - was there supposed to have been, and have others received same?

regards Mike
 22 January 2019 09:59 AM

Lisamiles

Originally posted by: mapj1

Joking aside, - although I have reserved my username by the on-line form, no Email has been received here to tel me to do so and to indicate the changeover - was there supposed to have been, and have others received same?

Hi Mike.

If you've unsubscribed from IET emails then you wouldn't have been sent anything. This is why I've also added the announcement at the top of this forum to make the forum users aware.

If you're unsure of what type of communications you've opted in/out of from the IET then take a look in your MyIET area online or give the IET Member and Customer Service centre a quick call as they can help.

Lisa

23 January 2019 07:21 PM

Fitzy71

Is there an actual date for the change over?
 24 January 2019 11:18 AM

Lisamiles

Originally posted by: Fitzy71

Is there an actual date for the change over?

Hi Fitzy

The new forum is active right now for those who are not concerned about anonymity. It's here

We're looking to lock this forum around the end of February but at the moment we don't know the exact date as it depends on a number of factors. I will however, be giving you all as much notice as possible before we do lock it.

Lisa

28 January 2019 12:29 PM

msbettyhunt

This would be a great thing for us!
 31 January 2019 08:39 PM

chrispearson

Originally posted by: Lisamiles

The new forum is active right now for those who are not concerned about anonymity. It's here

Indeed it is, but ...

(1) I couldn't make a post today - it may be an iPad thing?

(2) I seem to have been subscribed to the new forum so I am deluged by spam. (Not quite as bad as in 2003 when I returned home from the Persian Gulf to find 1600 spam e-mails.)
 31 January 2019 11:15 PM

mapj1

yes, the first thing you have to do to make it usable is edit your preferences to turn off all the emails and 'points win prizes' notification nonsense.
I presume it gives it 'yoof appeal' but as I'm now distinctly grey, it does nothing but annoy me, and by the sounds of it you are the same. When you have put no in all the boxes, you also no longer get emails about things like change of username.

regards Mike
 01 February 2019 10:10 AM

Lisamiles

Originally posted by: chrispearson

Indeed it is, but ...

(1) I couldn't make a post today - it may be an iPad thing?

(2) I seem to have been subscribed to the new forum so I am deluged by spam. (Not quite as bad as in 2003 when I returned home from the Persian Gulf to find 1600 spam e-mails.)

Hi Chris

1. Not that I'm aware of? Your account is approved so all should be good for you to contribute as indeed you already have! Probably a silly question but were you logged in?

2 When you reply to a topic (as you have done for a couple of them) then you are automatically subscribed to alerts for further replies to that topic. The ones that you did reply to have been quite busy so that's why you've received a lot of notifications. You can 'unsubscribe' yourself from the topic by either clicking on the 'unsubscribe from this topic' link in one of the notifications or selecting 'unsubscribe' in the specific topic in the forum. Don't forget you can also choose whether or not to receive those alerts instantly, as part of a daily digest or a weekly digest.

Hope that helps?

Lisa

07 February 2019 09:08 PM

davidwalker2

Hi Lisa,
I have been trying the new forum and I find an odd anomaly On the home page there are four columns, the far left hand one has the posted topic and the far right the responses. If I click on the left, most of the time I get to the top of the topic, but at other times I get a profile of the poster. It is not consistent so is this a glitch or am I clicking at a different part of the title?
David
 07 February 2019 09:25 PM

mapj1

the sensitive area around the name of the poster that when clicked gets the profile is rather larger than the text and the text of the name of thread and name of poster are too similar.

regards Mike
 08 February 2019 03:54 PM

davidwalker2

Got it! Thanks Mike.

David
 08 February 2019 04:42 PM

Lisamiles

Hi David

If you click on the title of the topic you will be taken to the topic thread but if you click on the authors name you're taken to their profile.

Mike has pointed it out to us that there is a tendency that if you're not precise in where you're clicking then you can mistakenly end up on the authors profile page.

It's something I have on my list to look at once we've moved over completely and I have some time to look at the layout etc. I need to have a detailed think on whether or not we need the authors name to be linked at all or whether to adjust the font size/weight of the topic title text to make it more obvious as the place to click.

Lisa

08 February 2019 05:28 PM

davidwalker2

Thanks Lisa, I hadn't appreciated that "by" was the division between two click points. Maybe a bigger separation or separate line for the authors name, date etc.

David
 26 February 2019 12:02 PM

broadgage

On the new forum, can I now use my screen name/user name, as used on the old forum ? Or will my real name appear as was the case initially ?
I saved or registered it in good time.
 26 February 2019 05:49 PM

Zoomup

I think, therefore I am. Where is the new forum? I am, therefore I think, I think. Does the I.E.T. currently have three wiring and regs' forums?

Z.
 28 February 2019 10:01 AM

Lisamiles

Originally posted by: broadgage

On the new forum, can I now use my screen name/user name, as used on the old forum ? Or will my real name appear as was the case initially ?

I saved or registered it in good time.

Hi broadgage

We're working on the screen name imports this week so fingers crossed we should be okay to go by early next week...

I'll let you all know once that is done and you can confidently post on the other forum under your screen name.

This forum will remain live for a little longer to make sure all is good before we fully switch over to the new forum.

Hope that helps?

Lisa

28 February 2019 06:43 PM

chrispearson

Lisa, may I raise a couple of issues with the new forum please?

(1) Clicking on a link takes one to the destination, but in the same tab. It would be better, IMHO, to have the same arrangement as here in which the link goes to a new tab.

(2) A string of numbers (15/30/45/60) was interpreted as a 'phone number even when I inserted spaces. Clearly, trying to call the number will achieve nothing, but it looks untidy.

ETA: the anomaly may be interpreted differently by a PC and a tablet.

Otherwise, it seems fine so far.
 01 March 2019 11:23 AM

Lisamiles

Hi Chris

Thanks for your feedback which I'll add to our list of items to look at. Quick responses below though...

(1) Clicking on a link takes one to the destination, but in the same tab. It would be better, IMHO, to have the same arrangement as here in which the link goes to a new tab.

I totally agree with you. At the moment this is in the hands of the author of the post when they insert the link. They can choose to open in same window, open in new window etc etc. However, we'll look to see if we can change the default to open in a new tab although I believe our web standards currently dictate that all links open in 'same window', leave it with me and I'll see what I can do....

(2) A string of numbers (15/30/45/60) was interpreted as a 'phone number even when I inserted spaces. Clearly, trying to call the number will achieve nothing, but it looks untidy.

Can you elaborate on this as I'm not sure where you are in the community and what you were trying to do? I've never come across the experience you describe? Maybe it's something in your own browser settings?

Let me know!

Lisa

Edited: 01 March 2019 at 12:42 PM by Lisamiles
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.