IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: ANNOUNCEMENT: Changes to the IET's Wiring and the Regulations forum
Topic Summary:
Created On: 15 January 2019 10:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 January 2019 10:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Lisamiles

As a visitor or contributor to the Wiring and the Regulations forum, this announcement to let you know that the forum will soon be moving to a new platform.

This is due to the current platform providers no longer supporting the software, resulting in potential security issues for both the IET and forum users.

The forum will soon be available on Engineering Communities, an existing IET platform that still provides the same functionality that you are used to.

Find out more in our FAQs (attached)

If you currently have a unique username (screen-name) on the forum and would like to keep it on the new platform, please complete this short form [Form now closed] to ensure that it will be available for you after the move.

You can select a new screen-name after the move but we cannot guarantee that your existing one will be available if you do not reserve it ahead of time.

Please ensure you complete the form before 31st January 2019 to reserve your existing screen-name.

Access to the new platform will still be available via the IET Electrical Website and any bookmarks that you have in place will still work.

If you have any further questions that are not covered by our FAQs, please feel free to ask them here.

Link to the new home for the forum: https://communities.theiet.org...ions/viewcategory/1037

-------------------------
Lisa

Online Community Manager - Engineering Communities

Edited: 18 March 2019 at 10:30 AM by Lisamiles
 15 January 2019 02:01 PM

Legh

Absolutely marvellous, I look forward to the ability to change my alias and avatar .... Will a 'road map' to the new web page be available?

Legh

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

de-avatared
 15 January 2019 02:06 PM

mapj1

you'll be pleased to know that you can also embed images in your signature as well, as trying to break it doing that sort of thing was one of my little games.

regards Mike
 15 January 2019 06:12 PM

Weirdbeard2

The high volume of traffic seems to have crashed the engineering community!
 15 January 2019 08:12 PM

Lisamiles

Not quite Weirdbeard!

As the message on the screen said, we were just down for a bit of maintenance and to introduce our new main navigation menu.

Lisa

18 January 2019 03:59 PM

Farmboy

Hi

I've accessed the new forum and the system has recognised me with my login details. However, it won't seem to let me reply to a post or start a new topic. Can this be rectified please?

F
 18 January 2019 05:16 PM

Lisamiles

Hi Farmboy

You would have been captured within our approval process for new users but your account has been approved so all should be good now.

Lisa

18 January 2019 05:36 PM

Weirdbeard2

Hi Lisa, any tips on when one is logged in to the engineering communities how to log out, I have been unable to locate this function since the update, thanks.
 18 January 2019 06:54 PM

Farmboy

Originally posted by: Lisamiles

Hi Farmboy

You would have been captured within our approval process for new users but your account has been approved so all should be good now.

Thanks Lisa

I see now that I can post.

It's showing my name, so can I change it to a screen name, which may be different from the current one, and if so, how do I do it?

Thanks

F
 18 January 2019 07:03 PM

AJJewsbury

any tips on when one is logged in to the engineering communities how to log out

Down arrow button at the very top right (next to your name), then pick Log out - e.g. for me:

- Andy.
 18 January 2019 07:15 PM

Weirdbeard2

Originally posted by: ,

any tips on when one is logged in to the engineering communities how to log out

Down arrow button at the very top right (next to your name), then pick Log out - e.g. for me:

Thanks for the pic Andy, but it doesn't look like what I can see, I will pop a screen shot in an appropriate section of the forum forthwith
 19 January 2019 01:55 PM

Lisamiles

Weirdbeard - If your view is different to the one Andy has posted then I'm guessing you're using a mobile device or tablet? If so then it's the 'hamburger' menu icon and then right at the very bottom of the drop down list should be the arrow for log-out.

If you're not on a mobile device then again I'm guessing you're using an alternative browser to Chrome, so please let me know the browser you're using so I can report it to the suppliers!

Farmboy - We haven't yet introduced the screen name feature for the online community so as I've said in this topic here if you contribute to the new forum now, you'll be known as your real name but once we switch over to the screen names, everything will change then. So if you don't mind being known as your real name then please feel free to start contributing straight away but if you want anonymity, I'd recommend that you 'lurk' for a bit until we've introduced the screen names (mid to late February) Also, don't forget to tell us by 31st January if you want to keep your current screen name so you'll have it once we switch it all on!

Lisa

19 January 2019 02:45 PM

Farmboy

Farmboy - We haven't yet introduced the screen name feature for the online community so as I've said in this topic here if you contribute to the new forum now, you'll be known as your real name but once we switch over to the screen names, everything will change then. So if you don't mind being known as your real name then please feel free to start contributing straight away but if you want anonymity, I'd recommend that you 'lurk' for a bit until we've introduced the screen names (mid to late February) Also, don't forget to tell us by 31st January if you want to keep your current screen name so you'll have it once we switch it all on!

Ok thanks, I haven't lurked for a while so I'll give it a go

By the way, regarding your post in the other place about MIPs, once the entry (such as a formula) has gone into e.g. a Word document, it is editable and it can be pasted into a post on the new forum by copying it in Word then pasting it into a post using Ctrl+V (hitting Ctrl first, then V, rather than simultaneously). Therefore, using the MIP a selection of symbols and formulas can be generated and saved in a Word document for future use by simply copying and pasting, so thanks for pointing out the MIP.

F

Edited: 19 January 2019 at 07:24 PM by Farmboy
 20 January 2019 02:50 PM

Weirdbeard2

Weirdbeard - If your view is different to the one Andy has posted then I'm guessing you're using a mobile device or tablet? If so then it's the 'hamburger' menu icon and then right at the very bottom of the drop down list should be the arrow for log-out.

If you're not on a mobile device then again I'm guessing you're using an alternative browser to Chrome, so please let me know the browser you're using so I can report it to the suppliers!

Hi Lisa, thanks for the reply, i am using windows 3.2 with a raspberry pi, connected through a Commodore 64 to a serial bus. 88bhp gigapulse modulator
 20 January 2019 11:11 PM

Legh

What's Windows 3.2? Do you want a copy of XP? ..............

Legh

de-avatared
 20 January 2019 11:18 PM

dustydazzler

Is that compatible with a ZX Spectrum ?
 20 January 2019 11:28 PM

Legh

Isn't that something to do with a chap called Clive Sinclear or Sinclare, or Sinclar? Nevertheless its all 8-bit processing and there's now a problem with software mathematical symbols getting stuck up the pipes....

Will you be joining the exodus to graze pastures new?

Legh

de-avatared
 20 January 2019 11:31 PM

dustydazzler

More thank likely yes ....

Once I have finished my last of the summer wine vhs box set
 20 January 2019 11:37 PM

Legh

Oooh..... box sets ! ..... ?
Well done, see you there then ....

Legh

de-avatared
 20 January 2019 11:39 PM

dustydazzler

See you on the other side

That's if I can work out how to get there

Anyone seen my compass....
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.