Topic Title: Bootlace ferrule crimpee
Topic Summary:
Created On: 14 January 2019 09:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 January 2019 08:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sparkingchip

With a screw terminal and fine strands of copper a cord end ferrule stops the screw damaging or severing the conductors. It also stops the conductors going up the sides of the screw.

A cage clamp should prevent those issues in the first place. So the only reason I can see for using a cord end ferrule is to stop lateral movement of conductors that do not completely fill the cage after the terminal has been tightened to the correct torque.

I am not convinced that ferrules are required in cage terminations and I think that the installation of the conductors shown in the Dehn video seems acceptable.

Andy
 15 January 2019 09:25 PM

mapj1

I agree, unless the wire is very thin, and so long as there is only one wire in the cage, a bare end is normally perfectly fine, to a large extent it is a matter of habit or 'house style'
We tend to put them on the end of everything that can take them, but that is because when you are making many of the same thing, the loom is prepared on a peg board, and laced, prior to installation so you need something to stop the numbers falling off. If it is not that sort of job, then it is less of an issue if the wires are being cut and fitted one at a time.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 15 January 2019 09:45 PM

chrispearson

Originally posted by: mapj1

My crimper for the small sizes (less than 1mmsq, remember I do electronics) is the CK ratchet model, and is not a hex crimp ...

But for this forum, I doubt that I would have bought a crimper or any ferrules, but one seems essential for the very fine strands of RCBO conductors. The CK model works well for me - it's what Eddie's have in stock.

I might add that it is also useful for some automotive wiring.
 15 January 2019 11:18 PM

wallywombat

As an aside, that seems like a lot of switchgear for for a domestic board. What's it all doing?
 23 January 2019 01:48 PM

sparkingchip

Well, for starters, it's three phase.

Andy B.
 23 January 2019 03:18 PM

AJJewsbury

The write up says it's a "residential building" - but I suspect they mean something more like a block of apartments rather than a simple single dwelling. Perhaps it's a "landloards" DB supplying things like automatic corridor lighting and controls for shared services like heating, hot water, and perhaps lifts etc..
- Andy.
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Bootlace ferrule crimpee

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.