Increase font size
Topic Title: IET Email Alias Facility
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03 January 2019 10:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 January 2019 10:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

AncientMariner

As IET Members who have registered for the IET email alias facility will (should?) know, this facility is being withdrawn later this year.

I decided to cancel my alias and sent off an email to the only contact detail that I have, aliassupport@theiet.org a week before Christmas.

So far nothing back and my alias is still operative. Since my IET alias is by default the email address that the IET use to contact me, I now seem to be in limbo.

Hopefully a member of staff will read this post and make the necessary adjustment.

Thanks!

-------------------------
Clive S Carver GCGI IEng MIET MITP
 04 January 2019 09:30 AM

chrisbradley

Hi Clive,

I've made the relevant team aware of your question and asked them to make contact with you to take you though the next steps.

For anyone else here on the forum with similar questions, this might be of use: https://www.theiet.org/membership/manage/email-alias/index.cfm

And the team can be contacted via ietalias@theiet.org which is a slightly different one to the address that was previously in use.

Hope that helps,
Chris
 04 January 2019 01:18 PM

Fm

I'm not following, you have a user name, then you have your real name as a footer?
Isn't it a bit late for an alias?
 04 January 2019 01:33 PM

ectophile

Originally posted by: Fm

I'm not following, you have a user name, then you have your real name as a footer?

Isn't it a bit late for an alias?

The "alias" is simply an IET (or even IEE) email address that forwards to whatever email address you chose. It was meant to look more professional than using a Hotmail address or whatever.

It wasn't intended to allow users to hide behind a false name.

I never signed up, because I read the Terms & Conditions.

S P Barker BSc PhD IEng MIET
 22 January 2019 03:55 PM

philipoakley

Hi All,

Just to say that I'm also updating my alias which had a dual redirection to both home and work, because I'm retiring. However...

What I have also done is purchase the two domains "IEE.EMAIL", and "THEIET.EMAIL" (though lower case 'iee.email' and 'theiet.email' are equivalent and prettier), plus a personal email mail box, from a UK based registrar and email host provider. Obviously I have paid for it as a reasonable professional overhead.

It is a pity that our Home for Life (TM) has not taken the opportunity to at least provide an equivalent [Paid For] service to members from our own domain (distinct from the staff & volunteers domains).

I had proposed this over a year ago, but heard back nothing apart from an acknowledgement.

These 'iee.email' and 'theiet.email' domains are available to transfer to such a service being provided by our institution.

regards
Philip

philip oakley
 22 January 2019 03:59 PM

philipoakley

@ectophile

Would you be able to comment about what part of the T&C's for the email alias service were an issue?

Philip

philip oakley
 23 January 2019 08:45 AM

ectophile

Originally posted by: philipoakley

@ectophile

Would you be able to comment about what part of the T&C's for the email alias service were an issue?

Philip

It was:
8.The IET reserves the right to monitor the content of emails to ensure compliance with the terms of service. The IET will maintain the confidentiality of all emails.

Which roughly translates as "we may read all your emails, but we promise not to tell anybody what we saw".

The IET seem to have removed the terms from their web site. I had to go to the Wayback Machine to find them.

Wayback Machine ">http://www.theiet.org:80/membe...erms-of-service.cfm[/S

The terms also say that they can close the service with 6 months' notice. So it never was an email for life.

S P Barker BSc PhD IEng MIET
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2021 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.