Can you help me find a gland   - rocknroll - 20 January 2019 11:27 AM  
 Can you help me find a gland   - John Peckham - 20 January 2019 04:14 PM  
 Can you help me find a gland   - mapj1 - 20 January 2019 06:06 PM  
 Can you help me find a gland   - paulskyrme - 20 January 2019 10:27 PM  
 Can you help me find a gland   - AncientMariner - 21 January 2019 07:17 PM  
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 January 2019 02:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zs

Hello,

I'm making something. It is a lamp. The plan in my head is that it will be a totally minimalist, sort of ikebana inspired arrangement of some tubes of light on a beautiful wooden block.

I went to see an advisor on CE marking and insurance etc about them this week. I'm now ready to start making. Sadly, the prototype in my head and on the bench is having its first 'iteration' and I don't want to budge on something.

I have sourced some beautiful stainless steel flexi conduit which has an outer diameter of 40mm. I got it because the guys who have been using it for years are finding it impossible to get glands for it and a pain to work with compared to, well, inferior stuff and of course I thought it would be easy to find cosmetic connections. Famous last thoughts? I've had it cut to length by a professional so it is immaculately level. Any engineer will appreciate this stuff, it is tactile, subtly glossy and has a great 'build quality' feel.

The wood base is on the way from Germany and is being cut to size for me. Expensive, but a tight grain so that it will withstand the hole cutting without going tatty at the edges.

Still need a Trumpf N200 nibbler though.....

Anyway, I want to mount the flexi conduit to the block with a stainless steel version of an armoured cable gland or similar. So, I've been fettling with whatever I can get my hands on to try the sizes.

Do any of you have a reference for conduit or cable connections which is by the diameter or any suggestions?

Electrical wholesalers and I tried a 32 SWA gland and a 40 SWA gland. The 32 went inside the tube but no chance of getting the nuts round it of course. The 40 fitted really well but the outer nut also didn't go round the outer of the tube. I think maybe glands aren't sold by the cable diameter in mm? I've always bought them by the number of cores and core CSA. They suggested a plumbers merchant so I went to one this morning. Yes, a 40mm waste compression connection fits perfectly. That's the best result to date. Of course I'm not looking for plastic, nor a through joint.

So, I'm looking for advice on how to purchase glands to fit a tube, not a cable.

Any help available from you?

Zs
Statistics

New here?

• To participate in discussions, please log in and introduce yourself.

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2022 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.